Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Head Lice

(11 Posts)
Carolynsturge1 Mon 12-Sep-16 10:12:05

Hi my little boy has only been back in school for 3 days and he has come home with head Lice, he's in yr1, he has short back and sides. I would like some advice pls, best shampoos conditioners or even hair gel I could be using to prevent the lice, other than shaving his hair (which I won't do) I'm not sure what else I can do, my other son is 8 and he has the same problems but at the minute he seems all clear, it's only a small problem but it is really stressing me out. Thanks you x

VioletBam Mon 12-Sep-16 13:53:21

I use the conditioner method. You put some cheap conditioner in their hair, then nit comb it thoroughly...wipe the comb each time...do it carefully as you're trying to get eggs and creatures out.
The conditioner makes the critters sluggish and easier to catch...and makes the eggs slide off.

Do it every night for a week. Then repeat a week later.

Carolynsturge1 Mon 12-Sep-16 14:05:00

Ok il give that a try thank you, have you any idea what I could use to hopefully prevent them getting it?? TIA

ineedamoreadultieradult Mon 12-Sep-16 14:10:13

Nit comb and conditioner is the best way forward. There is nothing really that can be used as a preventative. Up until recently I would have sworn by Vosene 3in1. It is a shampoo conditioner and head lice repellent. It uses tea tree oil as the repellent. But my son got headlice in the summer hols so it's obviously not fool proof. Although that was the first time in 9 years so it either sort of works or we have been lucky.

Wolfiefan Mon 12-Sep-16 14:12:17

I use a nitty gritty head lice defence spray. I have a daughter with longer hair. I tie it back and spray any stragglers with spray gel.

Carolynsturge1 Mon 12-Sep-16 14:22:41

Thanks guys x

VioletBam Mon 12-Sep-16 14:57:49

Make sure you repeat a week later as there could be new hatchlings which you missed and they take a bit to incubate!

Carolynsturge1 Mon 12-Sep-16 15:27:52

Ok great I'm gonna do the conditioning tonight, so just so I get it right, conditioner in dry hair comb thoroughly then rinse off and do the exact same thing every day!

VioletBam Mon 12-Sep-16 15:42:33

Yes....that's it. Get behind his ears and at the nape of neck very well too. They like those areas!

VioletBam Mon 12-Sep-16 15:43:01

And comb in all different directions...not just down...but sideways left and right and upside down too.

Carolynsturge1 Mon 12-Sep-16 16:24:28

You lot are stars,
Never had this problem with my eldest so I'm new to it all. Thanks xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now