Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Anyone know anything about raised liver enzymes in newborn? Freaking out a bit.

(6 Posts)
Highlove Thu 08-Sep-16 14:41:19

My EBF 4 week old has been under the prolonged jaundice clinic. Her bilirubin levels are finally much improved but repeat tests have shown raised liver enzymes which remain high (I think not spectacularly so but I don't actually have the figures) and are very slightly increasing. We've been called back for more bloods, an abdominal scan and appointment with the liver consultant next week. But Ive had no explanation and I'm going a bit mad. The Dr who called me just evaded my questions about what it might be, other than a possible bug or infection. (Though she's had a clear urine sample.)

DD is otherwise seemingly well - weight gain hasn't been great but she was back at birth weight before 3 weeks and at last check last week was a few ounces over. She's not due to be weighed again till next week. She has periods of being alert, wakes for feeds and seems to feed ok, has just smiled, plenty of wet and dirty nappies. I'd not be concerned about her other than this.

Can anyone help with what this might mean. The Dr was really unhelpful.

Highlove Thu 08-Sep-16 19:43:16

Hopeful bump. Anyone?

Highlove Fri 09-Sep-16 09:09:20

One final slightly desperate bump..

LatinForTelly Fri 09-Sep-16 12:38:43

Sorry, I can't really help with the newborn bit but one of mine did have raised transaminases (raised alt and ast) when he was about 18 months, and then another episode when I think he was around 3 or 4.

My son has other recognised medical issues but they didn't know what was causing this. He was monitored (ultrasound on liver) and regular blood tests and the next step would have been liver biopsy but thankfully we never got that far.

They slowly went down and I suppose we'll never know what was going on. My son's consultant consulted experts in other parts of the country - I think they genuinely didn't know! BTW they were in the high hundreds, like 900+. I think the normal range is ? - 35 confused.

I think there have been historic threads on here about raised enzymes in newborns - have you searched? I even think there was a zombie thread where the OP came back and her baby was a healthy 6 year old. Hold on, I'll see if I can find it ...

LatinForTelly Fri 09-Sep-16 12:41:20

It's this one www.mumsnet.com/Talk/childrens_health/800035-Blood-tests-show-elevated-AST-liver-enzyme-in-baby-DS

Not a newborn but a younger baby than my DS!

JE678 Fri 09-Sep-16 12:44:59

My DS had the same as a newborn. He was monitored for 6 months and then discharged. The reference levels they use aren't for newborns so can be skewed. He also showed no other signs of being ill apart from prolonged jaundice. He didn't need any interventions and it just slowly reduced until his blood tests were normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now