Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Concerned after 1 year review

(10 Posts)
Blueredballoon Wed 31-Aug-16 16:43:22

We had our son's 1 year review with the HV this week and I'm feeling quite concerned the more I think about it.

He has gone from 75th centile from birth to 2nd now. I had him weighed a few months ago and he had gone to 50th but there didn't seem any concern. He was a really long baby if that makes any difference.

I'm simultaneously baffled and concerned! He eats really well, both in range of foods and portion size (full fat everything etc). He's still BF- prob about 3 feeds a day now. He seems totally happy and is the 'right' size of clothes, just going into 12 months size. He's cruising around now and I had noticed a lack of chubby baby-ness, but just assumed it was because he was significantly more on the move now.

I'm really confused as to why he would have such a drop and I wouldn't notice anything. Does anyone have any experience of this?He is going to be weighed again in a month.

Luckymummy22 Wed 31-Aug-16 19:29:19

How worried was the HV? Weights can change. And him he's started moving about a lot more then that can contribute to it. If they are weighing him in a month then you'll be able to compare the weights. He sounds healthy. Some kids are naturally thin.

My daughter was born on the 91st percentile but is probably now on 75th for height & 25th for weight.
My son was on 91st for weight, dropped to 9th & is now up at 50th again.

Blueredballoon Wed 31-Aug-16 19:40:22

They didn't seem too worried- they said he seems happy, meeting milestones etc. I think it's the drop which is the main concern. I'm now kicking myself as I haven't had him weighed regularly at all- but as I say, there has literally been nothing to suggest any concern weight-wise whatsoever. He eats more than my 3
year old!

At the moment he's in the same clothes my older DC wore at the exact same age so there has literally been nothing to suggest any issue with weight. This has me really worried now, ugh!

nocoolnamesleft Mon 05-Sep-16 20:50:41

That's a heck of a drop off the centiles, and would expect it to be visible. Wonder when the HV's scales were last calibrated...would be worth a reweigh...

FuzzyOwl Mon 05-Sep-16 20:57:23

Are you sure the HV weighed him correctly or else put down the right weight/conversion/place in the chart? I think you would notice a drop from 50th to 2nd in a month and, whilst he might fit in 12 month clothes length wise, his clothes would be too baggy.

MothersGrim Mon 05-Sep-16 22:26:16

How does he look, in pictured. Does he look well? Have a flick through some and go back. Has he started to look gaunt, or bags under his eyes?

popthisoneout Tue 06-Sep-16 11:19:05

I would get him re weighed to double check. Also, what was his birth centile? Some babies put on loads of weight then readjust back towards their birth centile.

Ultimately it would be his height to weight centimes that will give you the most information. They should be the same or similar.

Blueredballoon Tue 06-Sep-16 20:34:57

Thanks everyone. He doesn't look ill in photos or even gaunt- he has definitely lost some of his chubbiness, but my older DC also did this around the time of starting to really crawl/ cruise/ walk so i just thought it would be that. It certainly isn't anything you would notice without specifically looking.

His clothes are a bit baggy I suppose, but nothing I would have noticed specifically. More that he is in the bottom end of 12-18mth and top end of 9-12mth. As you say, I would have thought it would be really noticeable.

The scales definitely were correct as they did it twice. Hm. Still quite concerned- would it be worth getting him weighed again before the month?

TragicallyUnbeyachted Mon 12-Sep-16 17:29:22

If he's in the "right" size of clothes and doesn't look unusually skinny I think it's very unlikely he's actually on the second centile -- DD2 was on second centile for a while and was well off on clothing sizes.

Did they do it twice on the same scales? Because that wouldn't help if the problem was that the scales were miscalibrated.

Blueredballoon Mon 12-Sep-16 19:10:36

Hi, yes it was on the same scales. Re clothing sizes he's in the 'right' sizes for tops but has always been a bit out on trousers round the waist, so is the size below there (but just like my older DC was).

I think I'm going to get him weighed again tomorrow (at a different place incidentally), so then that will have been a couple of weeks.

Thanks everyone. I've actually been keeping a food diary for the past couple of weeks now and he does eat really well, so it is puzzling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now