Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Price of a palate expander?

(13 Posts)
rebeccalavelle12 Sun 28-Aug-16 16:26:53

Hiya just trying to find out how much it cost to get a palate expander privately? My daughter is currently seeing an ortho and has a palate expander and bottom fixed braces (nhs) the ortho has said that my son needs the same but the nhs wont pay till he is ten. Now im happy to wait till then but he suggested doing now could help with his sleeping problems ( grinding mouth breathing snoring ) also his mouth breathing has caused him to have enlarged tonsils! So can anyone tell me their experience with paying privately for an expander. Tia

SoupDragon Sun 28-Aug-16 16:30:44

My DC have had them from age 7 as part of long term treatment. As the cost covers treatment up til they stop growing it is very expensive though.

Does your DDs orthodontist not offer them privately?

rebeccalavelle12 Sun 28-Aug-16 16:40:08

He does i just completly spaced and forgot to ask! We are due to see him on friday and i will ask then. Think he was just giving me an opportunity to think it over. How have they worked for your little ones? We're at the beginning of it all!

rebeccalavelle12 Sun 28-Aug-16 16:44:47

He does. Think he just wanted to let me think it through/talk it over with the hubby. Just have no idea how much we're looking at. We are due to see him on friday anyway so will talk it through with him then. How have your little ones found them? We're at the very beginning!

SoupDragon Sun 28-Aug-16 16:45:55

Oh, it's worked amazingly. Great teeth, no extractions, great jaws and cheekbones. It also stops mouth breathing.

They are having different treatment to usual I think - orthotropics rather than orthodontics (although 3 children and 10 years on and I'm still not entirely clear on the difference! I think they change the face and the teeth just follow on).

stoopstofolly Sun 28-Aug-16 16:47:29

I'm not sure the nhs pay for palate expanded a anymore - was told my daughter really needed one but couldn't have one. Apparently they now wait until all the teeth are through and try and fix it with a brace.
We went privately for a palate expander- it was about £1500- deposit then 6 monthly payments of £175
It's been brilliant- all the impacted teeth that couldn't come down a have all arrived, and she's gained about 3/4 cm.

QuackDuckQuack Sun 28-Aug-16 16:51:47

Are palate expanders only available from a particular type of orthodontist or are you seeing a regular orthodontist?

rebeccalavelle12 Sun 28-Aug-16 16:52:39

Thanks for getting back so quickly. Im so pleased to hear about good results. It mist depend on where you live. My daughter was referred to and ortho because of crowded teeth, he wanted to pull four adult teeth and possibly two more at a later date. I thought that there must be another way. So after a bit of research i found and ortho that does orthropics that was happy to treat her on the nhs. She only had her palate expander and bottom brace fitted last week.

rebeccalavelle12 Sun 28-Aug-16 16:55:31

He is a regular orthodontist but he treats 90% of his patients without extractions

mawbroon Sun 28-Aug-16 17:00:24

Ds1 had this from age 7 to 9yo. Not one where you have to crank the screw, but just a wire one to guide the growth.

Coupled with night time headgear, it basically changed his life. All the snoring/apnoea/moth breathing stopped and his health improved dramatically.

It was around 1,500 initially and there were to be payments every 3 months of 400 if I remember rightly.

Ds1's orthodontic problems were caused by his posterior tongue tie which we had lasered before starting orthodontics. It may not have been so successful if the tie had still been there. No idea if this is something you have considered, but it is something you need to think about.

rebeccalavelle12 Sun 28-Aug-16 17:19:04

He has been checked for that and all ok thankfully. Will definitely talk it through with the ortho on Friday. How long do children usually wear an expander? He said my daughter will wear hers for 9 months approx followd by fixed braces.

mawbroon Sun 28-Aug-16 18:23:14

Our orthdontist kept saying that we had brought ds1 at such a good age and there was no hurry. He had an expander for the lower jaw too, but wearing both was too much at one time when he was 7 so he did a long time with just the top one and headgear.

We are at the wait and see stage with his big teeth (he's almost 11 now) but he won't need any extractions and perhaps maybe not even fixed braces

Olivo Mon 29-Aug-16 21:16:24

My DD has top and bottom expanders, we pay privately. It cost around £1000 up front, then I pay £95 a month to cover all check ups and repairs. They have broken lots, but in the 10 months she has had them, you can see the difference. They have also helped her open bite, left later would have been too late. She may still need twin blocks t owork her bottom jaw......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now