Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What juice do you buy for your kids?

(22 Posts)
twirlywoo69 Sat 20-Aug-16 08:04:44

It's either 'no added sugar' cordial with aspartame in or High Juice with 'sugars' I usually give no added sugar drinks such as Robinsons, but have been told these are bad as your giving a child artificial sweeteners which their bodies can't process... but being the alternative is sugar I worry about obesity and teeth! I'd love my kid to drink just water but unfortunately that's not gonna happen sigh! What juice do you guys buy?

Olivo Sat 20-Aug-16 16:05:03

I Guess I am lucky that mine don't like juice. Do you need to buy it at all, the. You wouldn't have the dilemma? I agree you can't do right for doing wrong with sugars and sweeteners!

TheFirie Sat 20-Aug-16 22:42:01

None! Don't buy it and don't give it to the kids. I have a juicer somewhere in the kitchen and sometimes we dust it and make a big juicing party, but the n it is hidden for months again.

Ginmakesitallok Sat 20-Aug-16 22:44:01

I'm in scotland, so "juice" includes irn bru and coke. 'Nuff said.

Namechangenurseryconcerns Sat 20-Aug-16 22:44:13

I don't! I occasionally buy some high juice for a party but it stays in the cupboard for months only being drain by visitors!

hellsbells99 Sat 20-Aug-16 22:44:30

Sainsburys as although it has sweeteners in, they don't use aspartame.

Ginmakesitallok Sat 20-Aug-16 22:45:21

(But make sure they brush their teeth )

Clankboing Sat 20-Aug-16 22:49:15

I tend to use fresh juice. My children are all skinny, need the energy and do their teeth well. 2 out of 4 are veggie and I like to maximise vit c as it helps to absorb iron. We do have cordial but it's visitors who use it. Mainly they drink water or milk though.

Hockeydude Sat 20-Aug-16 22:52:18

It might happen if you gave them a month off juice. I used to buy juice quite a lot for the kids but it's something I don't actually like, I stopped buying it (I can't exactly remember why) and now I haven't bought it for a couple of years. Nobody misses it.

crje Sat 20-Aug-16 22:54:35

Mine love juice too

I get the ones with sugar & am strict with dental hygiene.

RhinestoneCowgirl Sat 20-Aug-16 22:56:36

Agree with Hockey , I just stopped buying squash and put a jug of water on the table instead a couple of yrs ago and that's now what we drink mostly. Odd can of pop for special occasions, but with sugar rather than sweeteners as I don't like the taste.

twirlywoo69 Sun 21-Aug-16 06:04:04

Thanks guys. Would love her to just drink water, but when I give it her she only takes a few sips and I worry she is going to get dehydrated as not interested in it. I know juice is really bad though. Do you think if j stopped buying juice and just gave water after a while she would not notice?

twirlywoo69 Sun 21-Aug-16 06:05:34

Btw when I say juice I mean squash or cordial...

43percentburnt Sun 21-Aug-16 06:14:41

www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/squash/sainsburys-double-strength-apple-squash--no-added-sugar-15l

No sugar, no aspartame. Strawberry and Apple is nice too.

Hackedabove Sun 21-Aug-16 06:20:58

When it comes to tooth decay the no added sugar stuff has some natural sugars. It's not the amount of sugar you consume but the frequency that causes decay, so you might as well give the full sugar stuff if it's teeth you're concerned about. I would only give squashes at meal times. Milk or water between meals.

43percentburnt Sun 21-Aug-16 06:26:11

Frozen fruit in water? I cut up lime into small bits, freeze and use as ice cubes in my water. Could do the same with lemon or strawberries?

I get you problem dd only really drank water as a child (she rarely drinks anything fizzy) whereas Ds drinks far less (but will drink flavoured stuff). Strangely I gave dd more fresh juice as a toddler (born in the 90's). I dilute fresh orange at approx 1 in 15 for Ds!

Maybe gradually increase the dilution when you give it to her?

Footle Sun 21-Aug-16 06:27:08

If it tastes sweet, it contains sugar.

Hackedabove Sun 21-Aug-16 06:31:50

I hate the putting lemon in water thing, lovely acidic liquid to erode the teeth instead of decay them.

Hackedabove Sun 21-Aug-16 06:33:10

You could either go cold turkey and stop the juice or water it down more and more then stop putting any in?

theconstantinoplegardener Sun 21-Aug-16 06:34:42

I give my children fresh fruit juice but diluted with water as if it were squash. That's at tea time; during the day they have water. Try diluting it a bit more each day. If she gets used to very weak juice, she may accept plain water too.

MuggleWuggle Sun 21-Aug-16 06:35:54

Mine get 'not from concentrate' apple juice like Tropicana with breakfast & dinner, I water it down 1/2 1/2. Water the rest of the time. My eldest is also not a big drinker, drives me crazy!

Ilovenannyplum Sun 21-Aug-16 06:39:38

We have sainsburys no added sugar in summer fruits and orange flavours

My 2yr old won't drink water willingly. Only 'daddy's juice' so that's what he has confused

I dilute it right down and don't think really juice is that harmful....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now