Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Flying with croup

(3 Posts)
maisybobbins Sun 07-Aug-16 10:41:28

I think DS has mild croup. He woke in the middle of the night struggling for breath and very distressed. We've seen this before in DD so quickly calmed him down, let him watch 10 mins of a film downstairs and gave iced water and calprofen. He then had a good nights sleep. This morning he has the croup bark cough and husky voice. Not at all distressed though and says he feels well. That's why I think mild croup.

The problem is we fly longhaul tomorrow morning!! Plane air is so dry it's bound to aggravate it. Do you think I should try to get him to see a GP today for some medication - corticosteroids or something? Or just ride it out?

Tried 111 just now but told to hang up unless emergency as they are so busy. So next my stop is you lovely lot!

Haudyerwheesht Sun 07-Aug-16 10:59:48

I think I'd hang on the line for 111 and see what they say. Personally I've seen croup get very very bad very very quickly so if be apprehensive in your situation.

maisybobbins Sun 07-Aug-16 11:19:29

Thanks Haudy. I called them back as soon as I read your post and they took me quite seriously. They are getting my local out of hours service to call me within 60 mins with regards to my next steps.

So good advice, thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now