Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Runny nose for a whole year!

(12 Posts)
NewMumSept2014 Sun 31-Jul-16 21:03:33

Hi all, my DD started at nursery in August last year at about 9mo and had only had one or two colds before that. Ever since then she has been snotty. I mean horrible green snot, every single minute of every single day, for a full year. And always from the right nostril. There hasn't been a day without it. I know this isnt serious, but tbh it's really annoying me! She's well and thriving.
I spoke to the GP and she laughed at me and told me it was viral. Nothing at home or in her diet has changed so I really don't think it's allergies. No temperature/ grumpiness to make me think she's sick and no foul smell to make me think she's shoved something up there.
I know the GP is probably right but I was just looking for some reassurance that this is normal, as Nursery have told me that she's by far the snottiness baby they've ever had.
I would just love at this point to have a full 10 minutes free without having to wipe her nose!
If this has happened to you how long did it last?

beeny Sun 31-Jul-16 21:07:59

I had this with my daughter and took her off diary for a few weeks and gave her soya products instead. I don't know if it was just a coincidence but it worked.!

AnotherTimeMaybe Sun 31-Jul-16 21:25:10

I would try what beeny said, I did the same

Is it green stuff or clear?

TeaRexit Sun 31-Jul-16 21:36:09

We had the constant runny nose but with coughing at night, bad tummy and rash.

It was cows milk protein allergy.

NewMumSept2014 Mon 01-Aug-16 06:06:55

That's really interesting, Thanks everyone for replies. I'll try that for a while. What do you use as alternative? Soya milk as beeny said? Stop all dairy or try just milk first?

lozzylizzy Mon 01-Aug-16 06:08:59

My dad says that when he used to drink pints of milk he felt all clogged up and now he has stopped he can breathe easier so could be something in the advice above!

3littlefrogs Mon 01-Aug-16 06:29:44

I would go back to the GP.
It really does sound as if she has put something up there.

KP86 Mon 01-Aug-16 06:31:55

Check if there's something stuck up their nose. Especially if it's a bit smelly. That's what happened to us. Five seconds' work from the doctor and all sorted.

Pizdets Mon 01-Aug-16 06:36:31

It's also worth checking her tonsils and adenoids. DS had obstructive sleep apnea and had a horrible nose and sinuses for a year, also a poor appetite and dreadful snoring (also stopped breathing for several seconds at a time when asleep). He's been so much happier since they came out, I can't remember the last time he had a snotty nose now!

TeaRexit Mon 01-Aug-16 09:03:36

I would stop the cows milk for a week or two, & maybe try oat milk. Theres one called Oatley that is really nice.

Maybe give soya a miss for now as approx 40% of people with cows milk protein allergy are allergic to soya.

Dont give rice milk as its not reccomended for children.

DD can have soya, which she likes as well as Almond, Oat & Coconut.

Her constant runny nose cleared up within a week.

She saw a consultant & dietitician, they said just carry on as we are, shes a different looking child now.

FinallyHere Mon 01-Aug-16 09:14:02

Another vote for removing dairy from her diet.

I only discovered this in my late twenties, but it made a big difference. Once my nose starts running, i cut out all dairy, it usually takes two weeks for my sinuses to dry up properly. Then, i can have the occasional dairy without any harm, but i find i have more and more then, wow, another cough and cold.

Just coming out of one now. Orange juice on cereal, ripe avocado on toast. Delicious.

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 01-Aug-16 09:17:45

Dd was permanently congested too.

Another one who was cows milk protein intolerant.

I recommend koto coconut milk.

As pp said soya can also cause problems in up to 40 percent of those allergic or intolerant the milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now