Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

6 week old dd has the cold

(5 Posts)
Amanda89x Sat 30-Jul-16 22:48:31

As mentioned in title, dd (6 weeks old) has the cold. She still seems to be feeding and having wet/dirty nappies but is only waking up for feeds then going straight back to sleep and this has been ongoing all day. Very unusual for her as she's usually a lot more alert and always hungry. I sat in the bathroom with her for 15 mins and turned shower on to help decongest her. Also she feels hot to touch (dont have a thermometer to get accurate temperature). First baby and first cold so obv I'm a bit worried. Do you think it's safe to wait until Monday to take her to doctors or should I contact nhs24? I feel a bit silly contacting them when it's just a cold..

Apologies for long rambling

ImOnMyTumbleTap Sun 31-Jul-16 16:34:48

Does your DD take a dummy? I used to give mine a snufflebabe dummy that you can olbas oil in to help their breathing.

The sleepiness I wouldn't find surprising but I would definitely try and source a thermometer to find out her temperature.

If you are really worried, I would say ring. They will be able to offer you accurate advice or offer you reassurance. Hope she feels better soon. smile

sleepy16 Sun 31-Jul-16 17:09:15

You must check her temp asap! A baby under 3 months needs checking over if a temp is over 38!

Amanda89x Sun 31-Jul-16 17:23:11

Thanks for replies we took her to nhs24 this morning and they have confirmed its just a viral infection and said she should be better in a day or so. She's been a lot more alert this afternoon which is good smile

ImOnMyTumbleTap Sun 31-Jul-16 17:41:18

Always better to check and find out it's nothing to worry about. I hope she is back to her normal, alert self soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now