Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Does anyone recognise these bites?

(8 Posts)
Snowfedup Thu 28-Jul-16 11:22:53

My youngest ds is being bitten alive - I found a flea on one of the cats and have attacked the whole house and treated the cats. I have Boil washed his bed clothes etc..

I have 1 bite on my ankle and my other ds has 1 on his calf, dh nothing !

I just wanted to check if these are flea bites as they look different to our notes and they are all over his back - I thought he had chicken pox a few weeks ago but now I'm not so sure.

Please help!

Snowfedup Thu 28-Jul-16 11:23:28

Bites not notes

sadie9 Thu 28-Jul-16 11:28:41

Is the youngest (in the pic) crawling around on the floor? Otherwise the cat fleas normally only get as far as the ankle. I was in a house once where we had an infestation of cat fleas. Have you carpets or mats that the child in the pic is crawling or sitting on? Or was the cat sleeping in their bed?

sadie9 Thu 28-Jul-16 11:31:47

Sorry I see now the child is not that young. If there are carpets in the house and the cats have been there a lot, then one test you can do is - literally bare your feet and legs and walk into the room with the carpet. Within a few minutes the fleas will detect the head and will jump onto your ankles.
We had to treat our carpets in that house with a spray. It was expensive for a can but it did a good bit of carpet. The cats weren't upstairs though in that house.

sadie9 Thu 28-Jul-16 11:32:10

'heat' not 'head'

Snowfedup Thu 28-Jul-16 11:36:51

That's the weird thing I haven't actually seen any fleas apart from 1 in the cats fur - they sleep out I the garage but during the day they do sometimes sneak up and I find them on the beds - have sprayed everywhere - used 2 cans now on beds bedrooms carpets etc.. Hopefully bites should lessen if that's what they are !

sleepy16 Thu 28-Jul-16 20:53:12

They do look like bedbug bites, flea bites are normally smaller and on legs and ankles.
I would give an antihistamine and maybe Google bedbugs and see what you think.

rollonthesummer Thu 28-Jul-16 20:55:10

They don't look like flea bites which are usually around feet and ankles (unless one is trapped in an item of clothing or in the bed, when it can be anywhere). They are also usually circular and even/uniform in shape.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now