Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

heavy/fast/erratic breathing in newborn

(23 Posts)
LimesMum Tue 26-Jul-16 19:48:14

My 1 week old baby has been having some weird breathing patterns and I'm just wondering if it's normal or not at this age?

She will be breathing completely normally one minute then really fast the next with some tugging in on her wind pipe then occasionally holds her breath and makes funny gasps sounds.

None of this lasts for very long at all and most of the time she is fine. She is feeding fine and seems well in herself with no temp or anything.

Should I be worried or is this just how little babies breathe??

Ringadingdingdong Tue 26-Jul-16 19:50:57

Does it happen at a certain time like after a feed? Does she sound like she's gagging at all?

TomHaverford Tue 26-Jul-16 19:50:59

Is it a noticeable tug on her windpipe? Does she have any recession or dipping in her chest when she is breathing like this?

welshweasel Tue 26-Jul-16 19:52:51

Mine did this. I went to the GP who was lovely and reassured me that all was well. No one told me they are noisy buggers. That said, if you're not sure about it why not pop to the GP, I'm sure they'll be delighted to have a cuddle with a newborn and hopefully provide some reassurance.

Tomboyinatutu Tue 26-Jul-16 19:53:11

I would get her checked out just I case, by a doctor. I was concerned about my child's breathing, fast, pulling in on wind pipe and head bobbing but the midwife and health visitor fobbed me off and made me feel stupid for worrying. I took him to the doctor any way and long story short he had open heart surgery just over a week later.

beela Tue 26-Jul-16 19:53:38

Babies can make all sorts of funny noises but if you're worried I'd get it checked out by your midwife / health visitor / gp. They would rather you asked and it was fine than the other way around.

Tomboyinatutu Tue 26-Jul-16 19:54:03

Also, check to see if she sucks in under her ribs when she does that

Missyaggravation Tue 26-Jul-16 19:54:21

If you can possibly video it I'd get it checked out. My dd had odd breathing sometimes, but maybe because she had been in scbu I was overly vigilant and paranoid, better to be safe than sorry though

Bubbinsmakesthree Tue 26-Jul-16 20:00:45

I remember mine used to panic me with little episodes of irregular breathing when he was tiny, he grew out of it. But do check out with GP if worried!

McBassyPants Wed 27-Jul-16 06:22:45

The neonatal breathing pattern is a bit random and often causes a bit of worry for parents. Best advice is if you're worried, get her checked, just for peace of mind

LimesMum Wed 27-Jul-16 09:45:06

Thanks all, we are going to the GP shortly, I'm sure they will say it's normal but id rather get her checked

LimesMum Wed 27-Jul-16 20:06:49

So Gp agreed it was unusual and sent us to hospital for assessment , when we were there for 3 hours it didn't happen at all?!? So got sent home

Now tonight it's happening again!!

They said maybe it's a floppy larynx and as she is fine in herself not to worry - easier said than done!!!

freddybear100 Wed 27-Jul-16 20:11:58

Sounds a bit like a floppy larynx. My Ds had it and he used to breathe so loudly people used to stop and stare when we walked by!
For us it peaked at around 4 months but then got much better and stopped totally by 8 months. We were under a paediatrician however they just monitored him as he continued to thrive and didn't need any treatment etc. It sounds a lot worse than it is! best of luck xxx

LimesMum Tue 02-Aug-16 01:58:00

Sorry to be back on this thread again, DD is really really snoring tonight - it's very loud - would this be due to the floppy larynx

I've been told by a work colleague (I work at great ormond street hospital) that it's probably laryngomalacia and hopefully she should eventually grow out of it but I can't sleep at night as her breathing sounds so awful and I'm terrified she will just stop breathing at any minute confused

freddybear100 Tue 02-Aug-16 07:36:36

I'm so sorry you are struggling. It does sound a lot like laryngamalacia (commonly known as floppy larynx) My little one used to be so noisy at night but over time u get used to it! It almost becomes reassuring! When he stopped doing it at about 8 months I was checking him a million times a night as I couldn't hear him!

Is she putting on weight and sleeping ok? xxx

freddybear100 Tue 02-Aug-16 07:42:00

Ps I've tried to add a video of my little boys breathing when his was the same age as your little one but can't do it I'm afraid. He did sound like a snuffling little piglet smile

LimesMum Tue 02-Aug-16 14:55:12

Thanks so much freddybear- wonder why it won't let you add the video?

She seems to be putting on weight and feeing ok and is a reasonable sleeper just worries me so much!!

freddybear100 Thu 04-Aug-16 12:24:57

I think. Ideo won't load as using the app on my phone maybe?

I was exactly the same and would just lie there all night listening to him. I badgered my GP into doing a paediatricians appointment but it took so long to come through I had kind of got used to the noise! Paed was great though and reassured that is very common and as long as they are putting on weight and thriving then not to worry. Easier said then done though!

Just out of interest does your dd Jane reflux as well as often goes hand in hand with it? xx

LimesMum Thu 04-Aug-16 21:15:14

Hmmmm not sure about the reflux, how would I know?

freddybear100 Fri 05-Aug-16 07:14:15

With us it was sometimes projectile vomiting after a feed but generally he just seemed really uncomfortable and lots of writhing around xx

LimesMum Sat 06-Aug-16 08:33:59

Yes she does seem a bit like this now you mention it

Anything you can do for it??

cbigs Sat 06-Aug-16 08:39:21

Hi op it could be bronchiolitis it's not the season for it but the rapid breathing happens more at night. I'd imagine a gp would have diagnosed this if it was though. My daughter had it a number of times as a baby and the breathing will be normal in the day . Doubtful and sounds like the other advice is more likely but just S another consideration.

freddybear100 Sat 06-Aug-16 09:31:45

Interesting you should mention bronchiolitis as our GP surgery sent us to the children's hospital twice as that's what they suspected.

With regards to the reflux we found infant gaviscon worked well although a bit of a nightmare to give if u are bfeeding as u have to mix it into a paste and try and inject it into their mouthconfused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now