Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Grunting/Snorting Baby

(9 Posts)
Itsaplayonwords Mon 25-Jul-16 20:27:24

I'm probably being paranoid but DD2 is 5 weeks old, born at 33 weeks and she is generally well but she's been making this grunting/snorting noise, almost like she's congested but right at the back of her nose/throat. It's mainly when she breathes in. She didn't have any breathing problems when she was born or when she was in SCBU - no CPAP, Vapotherm or Oxygen. The grunting/snorting is relatively new but seems to have got more obvious today. Any ideas what could be causing it? Could it just be where her airways are still small?

EsmeraldaEllaBella Mon 25-Jul-16 20:32:54

Speak to mw, noone here can tell you for sure!

PragmaticWench Mon 25-Jul-16 20:36:27

It may be nothing but best to get her checked out. Doctors would rather see a tiny baby than not, and potentially miss something.

Thequilltosurvive Mon 25-Jul-16 20:36:43

My DS did this until he was 10 weeks old. Sometimes I'd jump out of bed to check on him to find him completely peaceful and as soon as I got back in he'd start grunting again. It used to keep me awake half the night. I did some googling at the time and read some threads from various sites about people experiencing the same. Some suggested (not sure how true it is) that it's something to do with their digestive system settling. If baby isn't distressed I really doubt it's anything to worry about. It drives you mad but it passes quite quickly.

NewlyNamedMe Mon 25-Jul-16 20:37:42

Currently have a 7 week old still doing just this. As did my first one. Just part of being a baby! But do check with mw if you feel worried x

Thequilltosurvive Mon 25-Jul-16 20:38:00

Just re-read your OP. I only heard the grunting at night so it might be worth getting her checked out just in case.

ohidoliketobe Mon 25-Jul-16 20:40:24

As all others have said, mention to your midwife (or health visitor if you're under their care now). Honestly though, with my DS- it was like there was a little piglet in the moses basket next to the bed!

lljkk Mon 25-Jul-16 20:40:58

I thought they all grunted & snortled.

Itsaplayonwords Mon 25-Jul-16 20:55:16

Thanks everyone. I'm not seeing the midwives now, I'm next due to see the HV next Wednesday (although she seems completely mad and a bit dismissive). I might take her to get weighed this week so I could mention it to the HV there.

DD1 made lots of grunty noises but not like the congested snorty piglet noises her sister is making (piglet is the perfect description ohidolikerobe). And DD1 was ventilated and had/has breathing problems so I didn't know what was normal and what was down to that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now