Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Strong urine, baby won't drink

(11 Posts)
looby2803 Sun 24-Jul-16 08:44:41

Hi all, need some advice please

My 16 mo DS will not drink any fluid, he has milk in the morning with breakfast and then again at night before bed but that's it! I have tried milk during the day, juice (various flavours) water, flavoured water etc he drink the tiniest amounts and then spits the rest out! Also tried different cups glass bottles beakers etc.

He is very irritable and won't sleep and this morning his nappy smelled terrible ( strong offensive urine)

Gonna take him doctors tomo of course as he has runny nose and itchy eyes too( hay fever perhaps) but I'm at a loose end of what to do now, keep trying to make him drink as much as I can but seem to be getting nowhere

Thanks in advance

TheoriginalLEM Sun 24-Jul-16 08:48:39

if he has strong urine today then don't wait until tomorrow.

dementedpixie Sun 24-Jul-16 08:50:28

Ice lollies/watery foods?

looby2803 Sun 24-Jul-16 08:53:16

Yeah tried that too, he's having little bits of fluids through food and ice lollies but not enough, will ring on call doctor now

Roastie1986 Sun 24-Jul-16 19:30:23

My boy is exactly the same in drinking. It's frightening. Esp in this hot weather. Is he getting wet nappies?

looby2803 Sun 24-Jul-16 21:22:12

He's had very few the past 3 days but this afternoon he's drank better with a lot of persuasion, on call doctors were useless and basically said unless he's floppy and suffering serious dehydration they were too busy to see him or help at all :/

PurpleThursday Sun 24-Jul-16 21:27:45

I find pear juice is very kind on tummy etc and not too acidic, I make it into little ice pops etc. My kids love them and they are having fruit and some fluid at the same time!

lougle Sun 24-Jul-16 21:38:30

Can you give him wetter foods to eat? Watermelon, cucumber, etc. You can even freeze watermelon and turn it into an icepop.

PandasRock Sun 24-Jul-16 21:51:35

Agree with upping wet foods.

My dd1 had (and still does, to a degree) a huge issue with drinking when she was a toddler. She stopped taking fluids for over 9 months. The in,y fluids we could get into her was via food.

So, thin, runny porridge for breakfast. Yoghurt. Over cooked/waterlogged rice with something in sauce (curry/spat bol) for lunch. Soup. Jelly. Ice lollies. (Some of this was more successful than others!). There's a surprising amount of juice in a very ripe nectarine or pear, too.

i sympathise, it is very hard to get a child who is not interested to drink enough, and dehydration is a real worry.

looby2803 Mon 25-Jul-16 15:40:04

Thanks for the great ideas everyone, have put some of them into practice and things are abit better

Comiconce Mon 25-Jul-16 16:22:25

The only thing I can think of maybe is to try straws or those bottles with a sports cap? Or something with a slightly thicker consistency (yoghurt drink) if he doesn't like the 'texture'. It sounds hard especially in this weather flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now