Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Poorly 2.5 yr old, BCG site inflamed (picture inc)

(3 Posts)
GaryWilmotsWedding Sat 16-Jul-16 19:19:32

Hi all,

My daughter has been under the weather for the last 24 hours with classic teething issues - very hot red face, runny nose, sore bottom, not eating (or drinking much actually) and can feel molar coming through. She's got a temperature but that seems to happen for pretty much anything...

Anyway, had a crappy day with her but since she told me her mouth hurts and I can feel a tooth coming I just concluded it was that. Bathing her just now I noticed her BCG site is red and she says very sore. This struck me as very odd. Any ideas MN?! Pic attached.

TIA

SoggyBeachDays Sun 17-Jul-16 20:13:30

I don't have any answers, but my DS once had this (a very inflamed BCG site, about 2 years after he'd had his BCG). He was generally unwell too, and feverish.

I googled and internet-diagnosed him with Kawasaki disease, of which reactivation of a BCG site is a symptom. The GP kindly told me to calm down, and that he definitely did not have this.

He had scarlet fever. This became apparent over the course of about 24 hours, as he developed a terribly sore throat, and then the rash.

Sorry, this doesn't actually answer your question, but it's an unusual symptom and I thought it might help you to know that others have had it (as I could find very little when I frantically googled with an ill DS). Nobody could explain why his BCG reactivated, it just appears to have been part of an immune response to the infection.

SofiaAmes Sun 17-Jul-16 20:15:53

Please bring your dd into see a medical professional.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now