Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Sudden onset eczema in 13 year old - face, eyes and scalp

(2 Posts)
shushpenfold Sat 16-Jul-16 18:57:54

Hi, my dd1 used to have eczema as a little one but has been generally pretty OK for the last few years apart from the obligatory elbow creases.

She has suddenly (last few weeks) started to develop eczema on her scalp (like really sever cradle cap) and then eyelids, face (generally) and round her mouth. Her lips seem swollen with it. I've changed her washing powder back to what it was before (I had changed it) and she has also gone back top very mild shampoo. I haven't changed her make up yet although that'll be next if we can't get on top of it. Can this happen just with hormonal changes or is it much more likely to be a product (contact dermatitis reaction)? Thanks, Shush

Chocolateteabag Sat 23-Jul-16 15:33:51

Sounds like a contact dermatitis type reaction - could be the heat irritating her skin too.
I had bad childhood eczema and still get flare ups on my face etc

You need to get to her gp but definitely stop her putting on make up as it'll only make it worse.

If it's really bothering her - putting on one application of steroid cream like 1% hydrocortisone won't instantly thin her skin to try to get it quickly under control.

I use Vagisil on my face when I get a painful flare up too - does really help take the edge off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now