Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Clicking neck bones on purpose

(12 Posts)
ineedamoreadultieradult Wed 13-Jul-16 17:25:01

A while ago I posted about DS 6 pulling his own hair out. I took him to see GP as advised and he told us to try and distract him and come back in July if no better. I will be making an appointment for him as it is no better really perhaps slightly improved but only because of DS's new thing. He has discovered he can click his neck bones by moving his head it a certain way. He now does this on purpose at times where before he would have pulled his hair eg watching TV, when he is tired etc. Not only does the noise go straight through me it can't be good for his neck bones to be constantly doing this. So now he pulls his hair and clicks his neck!!! I don't know what to do for the best and feel I'm just going to be fobbed off again at the Dr's. Anyone any experience or advice?!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 13-Jul-16 17:33:25

Have you tried completely ignoring it when he does it or do you wince and make a comment?

ineedamoreadultieradult Wed 13-Jul-16 17:36:13

I've tried ignoring it but it makes no difference he does it just as much. He doesn't look for a reaction after doing it and I've seen him doing it when as far as he was aware no one was watching. It's the same for the hair pulling.

HeyMacWey Wed 13-Jul-16 17:39:24

One of my dc does this with their back - it cracks and makes me wince. I do ignore it. They say it makes their back feel better - I guess like how it would when you went to see an osteo?
Pretty sure the cracking isn't harmful. Does he pull his hair out or just pull at it?

ineedamoreadultieradult Wed 13-Jul-16 17:43:34

He actually pulls it out. He has a constant bald spot at the front about the size of a £2 coin.

HeyMacWey Wed 13-Jul-16 19:32:05

Do you think he's doing it as a result of stress /anxiety?

Or is it habitual?

EvansAndThePrince Wed 13-Jul-16 19:37:13

I may be way off here but I pull my eyebrow hairs out, it's a thing that has come from my OCD, I no longer suffer with OCD but pulling hair out can come hand in hand with it and for me that part has never gone away. With the hair pulling and repeated bone clicking I would maybe be doing some research into it.

EvansAndThePrince Wed 13-Jul-16 19:37:24

I may be way off here but I pull my eyebrow hairs out, it's a thing that has come from my OCD, I no longer suffer with OCD but pulling hair out can come hand in hand with it and for me that part has never gone away. With the hair pulling and repeated bone clicking I would maybe be doing some research into it.

HeyMacWey Wed 13-Jul-16 19:38:38

I was thinking similar.

EvansAndThePrince Wed 13-Jul-16 19:43:23

It's a really annoying thing for me, bugs everyone around me and drives me insane (as I'll never have beautiful big eyebrows) but I don't even notice I'm doing it, when I'm particularly stressed out I end up picking over half of my eyebrows away completely.
Anyway I researched it a bit one day and it seems to be common amongst people who have or have had OCD.

ineedamoreadultieradult Wed 13-Jul-16 19:45:52

I have been thinking about stress/anxiety but we have had absolutely no changes at all in home life or school and I'm not sure what could be causing any stress. He has done the hair pulling since being a baby. OCD is interesting he doesn't have any routines he has to do like hand washing etc but my knowledge of OCD is very limited so I'll Google that. Do you think a CAMHS referral would be helpful? Would it even be possible to get one. I only know about them through mumsnet but they were suggested when I posted about the hair pulling.

EvansAndThePrince Wed 13-Jul-16 19:55:56

For my OCD it started off as being thought processes rather than habits, then as it got worse it became thought processes and rituals (cleaning). Then after I kicked the worst of it it was just checking things (locks, taps etc) and is now finally only the hair picking. He probably doesn't have full blown OCD, but it's always possible that he has a likely hood of getting it. I'm not sure I've said that right, I think I'm trying to say maybe it's an early warning sign? Either way definitely research it, see if any other OCD stuff rings true and definitely suggest it to the GP. Many many people don't know much about OCD and assume it's all just flicking light switches etc but there are so many ways it can manifest. When I was in my obsessively checking taps and locks phase, my GP genuinely said "Oh so it's just useful OCD you've got then!" Yeah try telling that to me when I'm staring at a lock that I can see is closed but my brain can't trust my eyes that it is. Anyway if you do think it's a possibility, it may take a bit of a push for your GP to refer you to CAMHS. But mine started when I was a teenager and CAMHS were great once we got there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now