Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How long before I see a gp?

(9 Posts)
stirling Sat 09-Jul-16 14:44:12

DD (8) has had a mild temperature since Wednesday (around 37.4 the average reading, occasionally going up a bit) and a productive cough. In the last day or two I've been giving her Calpol. She's been active and feeling normal up until today, in bed.

Should I take her to a walk in clinic today or leave it another few days? I can't really see anything wrong other than a raised temperature, a cough and headache today (she's lying down)

Thanks for any advice.

CatherineDeB Sat 09-Jul-16 14:51:34

I would give it 8-10 days as long as she isn't feeling too poorly. That isn't actually very much of a raised temperature is it.

I think guidance is a raised temp for more than a week isn't it?

Wolfiefan Sat 09-Jul-16 14:53:15

If breathing is generally fine and the stuff she's coughing up isn't a foul colour then I would probably leave it.

Idontknowwhoiam Sat 09-Jul-16 14:54:44

It's a good sign that she has symptoms with the temp.
It's more worrying when they have a temp and no obvious symptoms.
I wouldn't worry about the temp at 37.4 for an 8yo and also less worried again if it's coming down with calpol.
You know your child and if she doesn't seem to be getting better or is far off herself it would put your mind at ease to get her checked out.

Imnotaslimjim Sat 09-Jul-16 14:54:55

TBH it sounds like she has a cold. Stay off the calpol unless she is in pain, WHO guidelines are to not treat a fever unless it is extreme, it is the body's mechanism to help fight off the illness.

NotSpartacus Sat 09-Jul-16 14:58:01

I wouldnt see a GP about that at all unless she was unwell as you describe for an extended period (a couple of weeks +) or really not 'herself' (i.e exhausted etc). She is probably tired with it being the end of term and has picked up a mild virus. Theres nothing a GP could do about that.

HeffalumpHistory Sat 09-Jul-16 15:01:47

I think she would be OK for another few days unless anything changes & she goes downhill dramatically.
My thermometer only bleeps (indicating raised temp) from 37.6.
37.5 & below are normal? (As long as not too low, below 35 I think)

Hope she feels better. If the calpol isn't helping the headache she can have nurofen too

MalcolmTuckersEyebrows Sat 09-Jul-16 15:49:23

You will just be told to go home, give her plenty of fluids and ensure she gets enough rest. If she gets a temperature of 39 that doesn't come down with ibuprofen, then it's time to see a Dr

stirling Sat 09-Jul-16 16:08:38

Thank you everyone! You're all echoing my gut instinct which is not to take her as nothing major happening...I'mnotaslimjim, I did that for first few days as I read the same advice last year - no Calpol unless high fever. Thanks again...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now