Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Threadworm help!

(13 Posts)
Luna7993 Sat 09-Jul-16 03:47:03

Went to check DD in her sleep to night for threadworms. She had them 3 weeks ago but has now had 2 courses of ovex. Pulled down pants, looked with torch, and saw little white dots!! Are these threadworm eggs?!! Or simply a poor wiping job from my daughter?

SemiNormal Thu 14-Jul-16 18:20:56

Sounds like worms that have just hatched, my son had the same and looks like little fibres of tissue but if you google and look at the images they look the same? Well they did for me.
I'm having the same problem. About 4 weeks back first sign of itching, both of us took Ovex two weeks apart, then I started itching so retreated just over a week ago. Started itching again a couple of nights ago and today found white dots in my underwear which I'm thinking are eggs? Went to see my GP who was most unhelpful and said Ovex will clear it up, I told him it hasn't and isn't but he says there is nothing else I can take. Nonetheless I need to take in a stool sample, which is pointless IMO because even if I still have them all I can do is continue taking the stuff!
I'm literally being driven insane with the amount of washing/cleaning, my hands are red raw from handwashing constantly. Our nails are cut super short, I've been eating pineapple, pumpkin seeds, really spicy curry, copious amounts of garlic PLUS garlic tablets - all these are meant to help kill them. I'm starting to wonder now if they have actually gone and it's all completely in my head. Either way I'm being made absolutely miserable!

Luna7993 Fri 15-Jul-16 15:39:53

I'm also going mad and wondering if it's in my head. We've all had the 2 courses of ovex but I'm still convinced they're around. Hands also red raw from hand-washing sad

SemiNormal Fri 15-Jul-16 19:51:01

It's bloody horrible isn't it? I'd rather headlice than this, I felt a sharp pain in my bladder earlier and have no convinced myself I have a worm travel up my urethra, which can happen.... I had a UTI about a week ago, I assume from the worms, now I'm thinking if one has gone there and lays eggs there I'll probably have another one. I'm at the end of my tether with it all now.
I did cut back on handwashing today though, mostly because I cut back on cleaning things - I've been avoiding touching things just so I don't have to wash my hands. I do also feel a bit better as I didn't see white dots in underwear today. I've been putting Vicks on my bum at night to prevent the worms coming out and laying eggs, I think of all the things I'm doing that has been the most effective - it does burn but it's worth it right now.
If you can find something I'm not trying yet please let me know, I will do almost anything. if only to give me peace of mind.

Muskateersmummy Fri 15-Jul-16 19:53:32

This is probably obvious but you have stripped all the beds, washed sheets and towels after you have treated yourselves? It's really important to do that to prevent reinfection

SemiNormal Fri 15-Jul-16 19:57:29

Muskateersmummy been doing it every day, I've never ever had so much washing! It's driving me insane.

Andbabymakesthree Fri 15-Jul-16 20:01:36

More over. How many days apart were first and second dose?

SemiNormal Fri 15-Jul-16 20:09:30

First time around I did it two weeks apart as it said, then after I felt an itch maybe a week after the second dose I took more. Then a week later I took another dose just to be sure. Now I'm not sure if the itches are even real or imagined. I can't find anything in my poo (or my sons). I felt an itch a minute ago so grabbed a mirror and couldn't see anything, I do have piles though (thanks childbirth) so possibly that? but then I never noticed an itch before, could be just that I'm just hyper aware of any down below itches now.

Muskateersmummy Fri 15-Jul-16 21:19:53

I was told one dose. Then if they haven't gone another in two weeks time. Ours went after about two days

Andbabymakesthree Sat 16-Jul-16 08:29:42

Look at the life cycle of a threadworms. I found a second dose 10 days later solved our infestion.

This was looking last December- longest we've be threadworm free. I'm treating the children again in Summer holidays!

NoahVale Sat 16-Jul-16 08:34:51

does she have short finger nails.
she needs to wash her bottom every night.
wear knickers in bed.
you say you are washign hands, someone told me you can catch them commonly from door knobs.

NoahVale Sat 16-Jul-16 08:36:12

ouch vicks seminormal.
wouldnt vaseline be better?

theconstantinoplegardener Sat 16-Jul-16 10:24:22

If you are suffering repeated worm infestations despite Ovex and lots of washing and cleaning, it may be that your child is being reinfected outside your home - perhaps at school or nursery. Some children don't experience the classic itchy bottom symptoms, so they don't realise they have worms and therefore aren't treated. It may be worth having a word with your child's teacher/the reception staff. Don't be embarrassed! This is a very common problem and they will appreciate your honesty - after all, teachers and TAs get worms too, if one of their pupils has an untreated infestation. At my children's school, they send home a note in the bookbag of every child in the class, saying that thread worms have been noted and can all parents please check their children and treat if necessary. No names are mentioned!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now