Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Nit Sunday

(4 Posts)
dollybird Fri 08-Jul-16 22:06:18

So, after a year and a half of recurrent head lice/nits on DD and getting rid of them again, I am going to start 'nit sunday' to try and keep them at bay. The problem is she's nearly 13 - how old would you keep doing this conditioner treatment for every week? There's no way she'd be able to do it properly herself, but they just keep coming back. She never had them before last January and no one else in the house has had them.

Wolfiefan Fri 08-Jul-16 22:11:25

Ha. We have nit check Friday!
If she actually has them then combing once a week won't be enough to get rid of them. NHS says every three days for 21 days. (To do with the life cycle.)
I would also do the overnight treatment once a week for two weeks.
Then hair pulled back. I spray with gel spray and then nit deterrent spray. No more nits.

UnicornMadeOfPinkGlitter Fri 08-Jul-16 22:13:29

Nit Sunday here as well. Both do have a bath and hair wash and then I comb through. I've found once they get to secondary school it's fine but currently still have one at primary.

Luckily we haven't had them at all this year. Hope I haven't just cursed it by saying that.

dollybird Fri 08-Jul-16 22:15:41

I need to get some of this nit deterrent spray. I have told her to put her hair up (I'm not home when she gets ready for school), but she keeps forgetting. She's also not very good at it as she never had her hair up when she was little. It's so frustrating when you think you've seen the back of them (last time she had them was Jan this year) and then they come back. I thought we'd escaped it once both DC were out of primary school

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now