Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Amber Teething Beads

(14 Posts)
itshandmade Fri 08-Jul-16 14:14:41

Hi there,

I was wondering what you guys thought about amber jewellery and it's powers to aid swollen and painful gums caused from teething.

BertrandRussell Fri 08-Jul-16 14:15:39

Pure snake oil.

AndroidAddict Fri 08-Jul-16 14:17:31

Makes me think of snake oil.
Babies chew on them and choke.
Calpol and nuerofen works better.

exexpat Fri 08-Jul-16 14:17:58

No help with teething and a pitential choking hazard - google any of the many previous mumsnet threads on the subject and they will tell you the same thing.

PurpleDaisies Fri 08-Jul-16 14:18:54

Don't use them. No provable effect at all and you risk your baby choking to death.

blamethecat Fri 08-Jul-16 14:20:21

We used them for ds and only gave him calpol once when teething. No way of knowing if they helped but he cut 3 molars at the same time. without any upset.
As long as they can't Chew them I can't see any harm in trying. This of course is not the popular opinion on mn.

BertrandRussell Fri 08-Jul-16 14:26:33

"This of course is not the popular opinion on mn"

Because it's bonkers.

PurpleDaisies Fri 08-Jul-16 14:27:33

If they aren't chewing them blamethecat where are the beads?!

BertrandRussell Fri 08-Jul-16 14:35:03

They are round the ankle, neck or wrist secreting succinc acid in random, unmeasured amounts to be absorbed through the baby's skin. Which would be quite scary. Except that they don't. Because Amber has to be heated to 200 degrees before that happens- in which case the baby would have more to worry about than teething.........

AndroidAddict Fri 08-Jul-16 14:38:54

I think some people use Amber anklets or even necklaces shock

Op if you're not a fan of drugs (though I personally see nothing wrong with medicating an obviously uncomfortable child with something that has been medically proven to be safe), you can buy teething rings that are filled with some sort of gel. You put them in the fridge and the cool is meant to provide relief. Chewy toys, like these rubbery teething rings can also help.

AppleMagic Fri 08-Jul-16 14:41:26

They are useful in that they are a very good indicator of a certain type of parent.

dogdrifts Fri 08-Jul-16 14:49:17

They are very trendy. And possibly dangerous. Other than that, I don't think about them very much at all, except to note in passing 'oh, look, there goes another yummy mummy who thinks a choking hazard round her baby's neck is a good idea'. And then I roll my eyes and move on.

I mean, they look pretty. And are indicative of more money than sense. Which is really all you need to know and love about changing parenting fashions.

SnotGoblin Fri 08-Jul-16 14:50:48

Breast milk works better as an analgesic and failing that calpol.

The beads are a con and they look a bit naff (other opinions may vary).

NickyEds Fri 08-Jul-16 15:10:14

I think they have no powers. Give your baby Capel and buy yourself a nice necklace to make up for the sleepless nights.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now