Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Irritable hip / Transient Synovitis

(8 Posts)
mumofducks Thu 07-Jul-16 21:31:22

My 4 year old son woke up the other day unable to walk. After a trip to A&E, x-rays and bloods he was diagnosed with Irritable Hip/Transient Synovitis. He doesn't appear to have any pain with it, and the dr thought at one point he was just making it up.

I was just wondering what other people's experience was because whilst it suggests it is a common condition, I've yet to find anyone who has any experience of it.

TIA

Inthesleeplessnightgarden Thu 07-Jul-16 21:37:12

My son had this last summer when he was 2 and a bit. One day he just developed a terrible limp. Took him to GP who sent us straight to hospital. All kinds of tests and X-rays ruled out anything really nasty and we were told it was transient synovitis. He didn't have any pain just limped terribly. It resolved in less than a fortnight. The Drs said it was probably the result of him having had some kind of virus, but whatever he had must have been mild as he had been perfectly well fit months before the limp appeared. We were told it's very common but have never come across anyone else with it either!

fightingback Thu 07-Jul-16 21:42:07

Ds was diagnosed at Xmas.

He also refused to walk but was screaming in pain which was pretty scary. We were told its linked to upper respiratory chest infections which he went on to be diagnosed with 4 days after TS diagnosis!

He has had 2 attacks since but now we know what they are, there isnt the same panic. We were told it should stop by the time he's 10 or 11.

PETRONELLAS Thu 07-Jul-16 21:42:18

My DS was 5 when he woke up unable to walk. I forced him to school...bit teacher realised he wasn't faking it and A&E diagnosed Irritable Hip after bloods, X-rays etc. I'd never heard of it and the blood test bit scared me..it 'vanished' after 2 days and he's nearly 8 now. Paracetamol helped.

kelda Thu 07-Jul-16 21:44:47

My ds had this aged three. I had to carry him around everywhere for a week or so before it cleared up. Four years later and it hasn't come back.

mumofducks Thu 07-Jul-16 21:59:10

Thank you, that has reassured me to just wait for him to recover. Quite scary seeing a very active young boy become immobile overnight, so good to hear from those that have been through it

s88 Wed 17-Aug-16 20:49:16

We were told my son had this ,twice.

Now this is extremely rare , but it turned out my son had a tumor in his pelvis.

He has recently been diagnosed with neuroblastoma a rare cancer. We didn't even get bloods taken for over 5 weeks though!

We are trying to raise awareness as the symptoms are just common things like virus , "irritable hip" dark circles under eyes.

But it can easily be diagnosed with a blood test and urine test . It was even missed on an x ray, twice.

SueGeneris Wed 17-Aug-16 20:53:03

My DS also had this. Aged 6. I also tried to force him to walk! Ended up having to carry him into the GP surgery and from the A&E carpark into A&E.

we had all the x rays etc and they diagnosed it and he was back on his feet the next morning.

Hope your ds is a bit better?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now