Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Does this look like chicken pox? (Photos included)

(10 Posts)
ThanksForAllTheFish Mon 04-Jul-16 16:18:34

Just that really - I'm not sure if it is or not.

The one that's scabbed over under chin is about 5/6 days old and I thought it was an insect bite.

Noticed a few more spots on one leg today and some red spots behind one ear that are still flat.

One of the leg spots looks like it has yellow fluid in it.

She says all the spots are itchy.

About 4 years ago there was an outbreak at toddler group and DD got 3 spots on her back but that was it so not sure if she had a mild case then so has picked up a mild case again.

I know it's been going around just now and 3 kids in her year had it. School broke up a week ago last Friday so about 10 days ago - so the incubation period is about right.

ThanksForAllTheFish Mon 04-Jul-16 16:19:16

A couple more photos

ThanksForAllTheFish Mon 04-Jul-16 18:01:54

Just discovered this crop of 5 in the back of her leg. Behind her ears are red and blotchy.

It's the pox isn't it?

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Mon 04-Jul-16 18:07:34

They don't look like the cp spots DS had but maybe ours were worse and therefore more obvious?

marmiteloversunite Mon 04-Jul-16 18:09:25

Hard to tell. Do they have fluid inside?

UptownFunk00 Mon 04-Jul-16 18:15:22

Look similar but smaller than the ones my DDs had.

ThanksForAllTheFish Mon 04-Jul-16 18:15:26

Some look like they do but others don't (as yet). The one on her chin had fluid before it burst/ was scratched. They do have a yellow tinge to them rather than just being red bumps.

TyrionLannistersShadow Mon 04-Jul-16 18:30:34

Yes they look just like the way it started on mine, sorry!

paddlenorapaddle Mon 04-Jul-16 18:37:47

If they look like droplets of water on the skin it's more then likely pox

ThanksForAllTheFish Tue 05-Jul-16 09:23:07

No droplets of water on skin. The liquid is deeper than that. No new spots today and existing ones look a bit bigger and redder this morning.

Last night after consulting with Dr Google I was thinking they might be bites?

Checked the beds but no sign of bed bugs (thank goodness). Then on closer inspection of her scalp I found a crawler. So after a mad dash to tesco at 11pm the whole family are now treated with vamousse and nitty gritty comb. Beds changed etc. Luckily not too bad of an infestation - 4 crawlers and not a lot of actual nits so I think we have caught it early.

I don't think the marks in her legs could be bites from the headlice as they do stick to the head rather than other parts of the body. - As far as I know anyway.

I've booked her in to see the dr today so I can confirm if it is or is not pox. Her cousins are visiting the UK and will only be here for a week. I don't want to cancel our plans to see them if we don't need to but obviously if she is contagious then I will.

Honestly, children. I have daily nit combing to look forward to now on top of trying to get to the bottom of these spots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now