Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chicken Pox scars

(13 Posts)
Kn33 Sat 02-Jul-16 09:49:43

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas, DD 2 had chicken pox, the last few scabs are coming off now.
She had them badly, needed anti biotics for some of them getting infected, and as a whole they have healed quite well as she didn't pick at all (that I know of anyway grin)
BUT she has 3, right in the middle of her forehead that are like craters, I'm worried about scarring as they're on her face as she grows older.
Anything I can try while they're still fresh to try and reduce it as much as possible?
I know the redness will fade over time but it's the indents I'm worried about for the poor girl sad

Lules Sat 02-Jul-16 10:18:29

I don't have any suggestions, but I have chicken pox scars on my face from when I was a child and they've never bothered me. I hardly notice them, although i know they are visible.

ktmummy1 Sat 02-Jul-16 10:44:02

My dd had pox when she was 2.5. 14montgs later the dents are still there, some have flattened but she has many on her forehead that are crater type scars and I don't think they'll ever go completely. You can only notice in certain lights now they are skin coloured. I tried every lotion and potion going but the only thing that really helps is time.

PapaEmeritus Sat 02-Jul-16 10:50:32

I don't think you can really do anything to help with the deep scars.
My DS had two on his forehead and one on his chin. He fell off some play equipment 2 years ago and split his head open - it got rid of the two on his forehead and replaced them with a big Harry Potter style scar instead. This is obviously not a method I recommend grin He still has the one on his chin, it's faded to nothing but you can still see the pit. It's become just a normal part of his face, he isn't bothered by it and neither am I. I remember at the time of him having chicken pox I did find it mildly distressing though, to see his perfect baby skin all covered like that so you have my sympathy

Kn33 Sat 02-Jul-16 11:00:15

I thought as much sad
I know it's so trivial I'm just gutted for her.

Full fringe it is for her then! Haha grin

PapaEmeritus Sat 02-Jul-16 11:11:49

I completely understand your feelings about it right now, but you will honestly not even notice them in a couple of years. Most other children will have them too, she probably won't be bothered either

Kn33 Sat 02-Jul-16 20:12:50

Thanks papa,
She went through a phase as a one year old of banging her head intentionally when she was angry, and decided to do it on to the side of the bath and chipped her front tooth..
I remember being distraught about that, but you're right, doesn't phase me at all anymore, has just become part of her now... At least until it's falls out anyway grin

MiaowTheCat Sat 02-Jul-16 20:19:42

I've got one in the middle of my forehead... it's now hidden in a wrinkle!

It's never bothered me (the wrinkle bloody does though!) but yes I understand how it feels when you see their beautiful perfect skin come up in these awful spots. DD1 had it awfully earlier this year and I was convinced she was going to be utterly disfigured but only one spot near her hairline has actually left a scar.

RosieBdy Sat 02-Jul-16 20:26:52

Bio oil is supposed to help...
My DD has a huge chickenpox scar right on her forehead too - I tried bio oil... I don't think it made a huge difference to be honest, but someone recommended it and I was willing to try anything!
A friend used it on her daughter and she thinks it really worked... Maybe it depends on the depth, size?
As others have said, you get used to it - as do they. DD quite likes hers now!

ktmummy1 Sat 02-Jul-16 20:45:02

My dd has loads, at least 10 but realistically more like 20. If She only had 3 I don't think I'd be that worried. I totally understand the upset. I've been really gutted about it all year but some have suggested in the very young, they may fade eventually eg by teenage years. I hope so.

greenfolder Sat 02-Jul-16 20:49:29

My dad has dreadful chicken pox at 3 months. More spot than baby. At 18 you can honestly not see them unless you are standing 3 inches away an know where to look. It upset me terribly for a really long time Its now on my long list of stuff I shouldn't have worried about

Willfeelbettersoon Thu 14-Jul-16 19:37:09

Hi all, just looking for a little support. My 4 year old had very bad case of chicken pox 8 weeks ago and has about 15 pitted scars on her face.
I'm upset because she's gorgeous like all other little ones and feel sad, before this virus she had beautiful skin.
A health visitor has said they would disappear over time? But couldn't say how long it would take obviously. I'm applying a little bio oil at night when she's asleep.
I don't make a fuss of it in front of her but she does question all these 'holes in her face'. I try reassure her and say it's left from the chicken pox but it will get better.
I know there's worse things and so have got perspective.

ktmummy1 Thu 14-Jul-16 19:47:33

I'll pm you. I think I can offer reassurance as my dd skin was terrible a year ago but now it's sooo much better. Look in your inbox. I can totally empathise. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now