Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Overnight/Ortho K Contact Lenses For My Daughter, Are They As Good As They Seem?

(6 Posts)
Samberry Tue 28-Jun-16 11:47:31

Hi everyone, my daughter has started to develop short-sightedness issues. She’s very much against the idea of having to wear glasses because she thinks their very un-cool (I’ve tried my best to talk her round but unfortunately she’s made up her mind) so we’ve decided that contact lenses are the only answer.

I had a chat with my optician and they gave me info about overnight ortho k lenses www.eyesite.co.uk/contact-lenses/eyedream-vision-correction and I think they sound like they’d do the job. She really likes netball so the idea of her not having to wear lenses at all while playing is a big plus.

To be honest though I’m a bit nervous about them. confused They’ve told me that there are no serious side effects and that the effect is completely reversible but something about re-shapng her eye sounds quite extreme.

Have any of you used these lenses? Do you have any tips on how to use them? Do you find they work as advertised? Are there any noticeable side effects? Sorry for all the questions Im just a bit unsure. Thank you in advance for your help. grin

TwuntingCrow Tue 28-Jun-16 12:33:53

My daughter has just finished the trial with these. They have been amazing
There are a few glitches - you have to have a pretty good routine and if you don't get enough sleep with them in then the next day is tricky
However - they have maintained her sight over a two year period
She is currently taking a break and we will go back to them soon

Wolfiefan Tue 28-Jun-16 12:36:03

How old is she?

Samberry Wed 29-Jun-16 11:07:31

Hi TwuntingCrow, thanks for getting back to me. Luckily she's very good with adopting routines so that shouldn't be too much of an issue (hopefully I haven't spoke too soon! grin I'm happy to hear they've made a real difference over such a long period though. So, when she takes this break her vision will return to how it was before?

Wolfiefan she's a couple of months off of 10 years old. Another thing about these lenses is the fact they can slow any worsening of her short sightedness as she gets older, that's why I think it's a good idea for her to try them now.

TwuntingCrow Wed 29-Jun-16 15:34:05

her vision is being watched carefully and if it deteriorates again then the plan is to go back to the lenses .. Our long term goal is to keep her vision at a level which keeps LASIC as an option for when she hits 21 ... Best of luck smile

Samberry Thu 30-Jun-16 17:41:25

TwuntingCrow That makes a lot of sense, I'm considering LASIC for my girl too but it's a long way off as an option. Good luck to you both too, thanks for your help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now