Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

14 month old with hives from being touched.

(8 Posts)
Titsalinabumsquash Sun 26-Jun-16 07:56:38

My 14 month old DD seems to get hives from anything at all touching her skin, if we tickle her, kiss her tummy, is a cuff of her clothes is slightly tight (not enough to squeeze the skin but normal sizing) she comes up in hives all over the area that been touched.
My eldest son was playing a game with her yesterday, pretending to be a puppy and mouthing her (no teeth, just lips) and her whole body was covered for ages, she doesn't seem bothered by it but it look awful and People comment.

Is it a recognised condition and if it's not bothering her should I take her to a GP to been looked at?

JellyMouldJnr Sun 26-Jun-16 07:57:58

I would definitely take her to the GP.

Wheresthattomoibabber Sun 26-Jun-16 08:11:26

Dermatagraphism - skin writing. DD has it. Diagnosed by consultant at children's hospital. She now takes a daily antihistamine and has piriton if it gets too annoying. She does have other allergies but none of it serious, just annoying. She's grown out of the hives a lot now at 12.

So GP first for dermatology referral I would say. And don't panic, she'll be fine! It will just look dramatic!

Thebookswereherfriends Sun 26-Jun-16 08:11:30

It is a thing, can't remember what it's called, but it isn't harmful. Take her to the gp to ease your mind.

Thebookswereherfriends Sun 26-Jun-16 08:13:15

Managed to Google it. Look up dermatographia.

Thebookswereherfriends Sun 26-Jun-16 08:15:43

Cross post! Slow typing.

Wheresthattomoibabber Sun 26-Jun-16 08:16:17

Here's a picture of DD's arm after her little brother totally denied slapping her!

Wheresthattomoibabber Sun 26-Jun-16 08:17:44

The only problem is that it can be very itchy and scratching can damage the skin. It looks like DS2 may have developed it too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now