Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

paracetamol

(16 Posts)
Titsalinabumsquash Wed 22-Jun-16 13:54:05

When a packet of medication says no more than x amount in a 24hr period is that gospel?

My 14 month old DD has spiked a temp of 40, she has paracetamol suppositories and she won't take anything orally.
They say no more than 4 in 24hr period and she's already had 4 and her temp is back to 40 but the GP can't see us until 4.30.

Wolfiefan Wed 22-Jun-16 13:56:25

Yes it's gospel. Can she take ibruprofen? Perhaps ask a pharmacist?
Strip her off and go outside or sponge off (not with cold water.)
Hope she feels better soon.

Titsalinabumsquash Wed 22-Jun-16 14:01:35

No she has developmental delays and with food/liquid she won't take anything other than breastmilk in her mouth so ibuprofen is out the question.

I thought it was advised not to suddenly cool them down these days with cool flannels and stripping off? I might have got that wrong though.
She's only in a vest atm.

Abetes Wed 22-Jun-16 14:04:53

Try nurofen. Generally find that this is better than paracetamol at bringing down temperature. In future you can alternate paracetamol and ibuprofen to keep fever down.

Abetes Wed 22-Jun-16 14:05:35

Sorry - x posted

PicnicPie Wed 22-Jun-16 14:15:06

Can you ring the GP and explain?

Same thing happened to my DD at 18mo. I was able to take her in and be seen straight away due to high temp and her age. Initially I thought I was over reacting but my GP said coming to GP or ringing A and E was certainly not considered an over reaction for a toddler with a temp of 39.

Your DD' s temp is still 40 despite taking maximum dosage. I wouldn't wait until 430. Call and see what they say.

Oh and when we were at the docs, the GP sponged my DD down and had a fan on right next to her. Couldn't leave until it had come down. Had to bring my daughter home in just her nappy.

MiniMum97 Wed 22-Jun-16 14:19:09

Go to A&E

Badders123 Wed 22-Jun-16 14:33:27

You are correct re cold water/flannels.
It's actually very dangerous to do that
I would phone 111 and explain the dr won't see you til 4.30

Badders123 Wed 22-Jun-16 14:35:02

Please don't take a child who currently just has a high temp to a and e
she needs to be seen, but 111 will be quicker.
Don't the dr have a duty dr you could speak to?

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Wed 22-Jun-16 14:38:43

Try sponging her with tepid water not cold water. This will help cool her down as the water evaporates but not cause the problems associated with cold water

Badders123 Wed 22-Jun-16 14:42:20

Pleas check out the NHS info page for high temp...the advice just given is incorrect and potentially dangerous.
Hope you are in phone to dr/111 and getting somewhere X

ShowOfHands Wed 22-Jun-16 14:45:22

Don't sponge with any water whether it's cold or tepid.

Have you managed to reach the gp or 111? Is it only bm direct from source she'll tolerate? No bottles or cups you can disguise ibuprofen in? I'm sure it's not possible and you've considered it already.

I hope she's well soon.

TheCrumpettyTree Wed 22-Jun-16 20:19:48

Don't sponge with tepid water, it fools the body into thinking its cooling down and so it causes the temperature to go higher. That advice hasn't been recommended for years. You can strip her off though.

Is she ill with it? Now days they say to give paracetamol for pain and being unsettled rather than for a temperature. You could call 111 for advice. I wouldn't take my child to A&E just because they had a temperature of 40. It would depend on other symptoms.

Titsalinabumsquash Wed 22-Jun-16 20:31:30

She had a ferible seizure as I pulled into the GP car park, we've spent the last few hours at the assessment unit at the hospital, she's had diclofenic to bring her temp down and they've diagnosed a viral upper respiratory/throat infection.

The Consultant said no way to sponging or skin contact cooling as it can increase temp and instead to strip off to just a nappy and open windows and doors.
We've got 72hrs open access to go back. It was bloody terrifying.

Thank you all for the advice.

ShowOfHands Wed 22-Jun-16 21:27:37

Oh you poor thing. Was it her first febrile seizure? I don't know that it ever helps but while they're so hard to witness, usually they are utterly harmless.

I hope you manage a good night. Lots of air circulating and aim for cool and comfortable, not cold. Shivering should be avoided as it creates temp spikes.

You must be frazzled.

Badders123 Thu 23-Jun-16 21:15:12

Oh my nephew had those...very upsetting to watch sad
Hope she is on the mend soon X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now