Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chronic outer ear infection

(5 Posts)
gastontheladybhoy Thu 16-Jun-16 12:24:44

Hi does anyone else's child some from them? If so what treatment have they received and has it worked? My dd has been suffering ear infections since she was 2. She has been given endless anti-biotics and drops, but it keeps recurring. She's been to ENT 3 times. First time she had her adenoids removed and ears cleaned of wax. Other times ears checked and sent on her way. We are currently on the waiting list again (which is 67 Wks), trying to get an urgent appointment. She is in constant pain and always poking at them which I try to stop her from doing. I'm at my wits end and worried about her hearing being affected, which isn't great at the moment, and also the constant medicine given.

gastontheladybhoy Fri 17-Jun-16 12:14:36

cheekymonkeyears Fri 17-Jun-16 12:35:24

It is awful to see your child in pain with a chronic ear infection isn't it.

Is it the GP or the ENT that have given the medicine and drops? When DS had a chronic ear infection GP kept prescribing antibiotic medicine (which is not effective for ear infections) and then did prescribe antibiotic drops that didn't work either. Finally, ENT prescribed some drops that were actually eye drops for ears and they worked and we haven't had a problem for the last 3 months (touch wood).

Keep on at GP for urgent referral. Easier said than done I know.

In the meantime, try not to get them wet in the bath/washing hair as bath water can be a problem. You can use special ear plugs or vaseline on cotton wool.

HTH

gastontheladybhoy Fri 17-Jun-16 15:02:18

Thank you for replying. It's the GPs that keep giving the med. By the time we get to ENT her ears are clear so they don't do anything more. I wish they could send us when her ears are bad. I try to keep them dry using ear plugs then the gp told me they could make it worse.

cheekymonkeyears Sat 18-Jun-16 07:20:13

Not heard of ear plugs making it worse. Its what our ENT recommended.confused. This was just recommended for baths though not swimming as swimming water is much cleaner.

At your next GP visit try pointing out that oral antibiotics aren't effective on ear infections, the drops don't seem to be working, so what is next - pointing out that the ENT appointment is not for a very long time. Hopefully they might either be able to speed up the ENT appointment or give you some more effective drops. The ones that worked for us are Ciloxan, but like I said we got them from ENT and they are really eye drops but they can be used in ears.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now