Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What could these itchy spots be?

(9 Posts)
HazedandConfused Mon 13-Jun-16 23:49:18

DD (6) has a patch of maybe 7 or so small red spots at the top of her leg/by her groin area on one side, and keeps complaining about it itching.

They look similar to acne-type spots or some sort of bites to me, I don't think they are bites though as she has had them quite a while (most bites would have cleared up by now I think?) and only in that one area. I don't think it's sweat rash either as it is more individual, defined spots and a bit larger than I think you usually get with that, and the skin in between looks normal and not red.

I wondered about a fungal thing (e.g. ringworm) but they don't look much like pictures of that that I've seen.

Any suggestions please as to what it could be and the best way to treat it? I wondered about trying an antifungal cream as we already have some, but wasn't sure about using that if I'm not sure that's the problem. Thank you!

dementedpixie Tue 14-Jun-16 14:41:36

Molluscum contagiosum maybe?

MrsMarigold Tue 14-Jun-16 14:43:21

Chicken pox?

HazedandConfused Tue 14-Jun-16 15:21:25

Thank you both!

I will look up the Molluscum. I don't think it's chicken pox though as a) they've been there too long (weeks rather than days) and b) she's already had it - twice! Although otherwise it could have been, I suppose.

Hensintheskirting Tue 14-Jun-16 18:13:48

She doesn't have any pain as well does she... Thinking shingles?? Would be rare to get it young but not unheard of?

dementedpixie Tue 14-Jun-16 18:46:55

Shingles wouldn't have lasted for weeks though

HazedandConfused Tue 14-Jun-16 23:29:48

No, no pain just itching sometimes, and it's more individual spots than a rash which I think shingles is?
I had another look and think the molluscum could be a possibility, though it might be impossible to be sure. She only has about 6 spots there at the moment, of which 2 or 3 look like they are old ones that are starting to go but others are newer. One had a definite white head on, if that means anything?

JeopardyMouse Tue 14-Jun-16 23:33:33

Sounds like molluscum to me. While the spots themselves aren't usually itchy, they can be surrounded by eczema which makes you want to scratch. I'm sorry, it's not much fun.

HazedandConfused Fri 17-Jun-16 22:11:58

I am crossing my fingers it may finally be getting better... she hasn't complained about the itching for several days now, and there do seem to be fewer spots (and less red I think) than before. So am hoping it's on its way out, whatever it is!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now