Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Pre school immunisations

(8 Posts)
Littlepickle101 Sun 12-Jun-16 21:05:31

DD will be having her pre school immunisations this week, DTaP/IPV booster and MMR. So what are the likely side effects? I was told they can appear over a few weeks, relating to the different parts of each immunisation? Are temperatures and feeling generally unwell, fairly common side effects?

Littlepickle101 Mon 13-Jun-16 11:55:25

Anyone?

cuntinghomicidalcardigan Mon 13-Jun-16 11:57:30

My dd was completely fine when she had hers, other than she complained of a bit of a headache the first night (Which may have been related to running round the park all afternoon after the jab). I gave her one dose of calpol at bedtime and she was fine after that.

dementedpixie Mon 13-Jun-16 14:24:12

Neither of mine had any side effects with the pre school jabs

minipie Mon 13-Jun-16 16:49:09

None here either

GrimmauldPlace Mon 13-Jun-16 20:53:52

DD had hers a month or so ago and was really unwell with it. She had a slight temperature the day after then nothing until the 6th day when she developed a very 'mild' case of measles. She was flat out on the sofa for a good couple of days. Which makes me extremely glad I got her immunised as if this was a mild case I dread to think what a full blown case of measles would be like. Horrific I should imagine!

My niece is 2 weeks younger than DD and had hers around the same time. Not one side effect at all. So obviously effects everyone differently.

Littlepickle101 Wed 15-Jun-16 12:39:48

It's good to know most children are fine. I googled it to start with and of course, it brings up all the severe cases of reactions.
But feel much more reassured now. Thankyou.

minipie Wed 15-Jun-16 14:06:16

The leaflets that come with these injections list how likely the reactions are.

So it's usually something like:

Common reactions (1 in 10): mild fever
Less common reactions (under 1 in 100): rash, headache
Uncommon reactions (under 1 in 10 000): convulsions, temporary loss of vision <other quite scary stuff>
Very rare reactions (under 1 in 1 000 000): sepsis, paralysis <other really scary stuff>

If you google you can probably find the leaflet info online? Or call up and ask if the clinic can give you a copy to look at?

Probably a bit more accurate than poll of 4 MN users grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now