Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

chicken pox vaccination?

(18 Posts)
Damegemma82 Fri 10-Jun-16 15:50:05

Just watched this video.

We don't vaccinate in UK do we? Just thought it was something we all have to go through as kids. Poor little lad looks in a right mess sad

VIDEO: Queensland mother posts harrowing chicken pox picture as vaccination warning - 9news
https://apple.news/AkroJK6WsRoiqkeUrevqJYw

dementedpixie Fri 10-Jun-16 16:28:18

His chickenpox looks infected as my two kids didn't look like that. Hope they didn't give ibuprofen as that can cause adverse skin reactions combined with chicken pox.

Damegemma82 Fri 10-Jun-16 17:12:18

Yes I've seen that with the ibuprofen dementedpixie and it does look awful.

Smerlin Fri 10-Jun-16 17:21:42

You can vaccinate but have to do it privately. A lot of other countries have it as part of the course of childhood vaccinations.

Damegemma82 Fri 10-Jun-16 19:00:31

Thanks Smerlin, I'm already wondering what to do re meningitis vaccination as I'll have 1 daughter vaccinated and one not unless I pay for DD1 to have it privately.

Smerlin Fri 10-Jun-16 20:20:21

Yes I am only on my first DC but very likely to get the men B one for her. However

1- when I checked near me, men B was much less affordable than the chickenpox one we had
2- it has all run out for private vaccines atm as obviously the NHS needs rather a lot of it

Smerlin Fri 10-Jun-16 20:24:20

Chicken pox was about £60 per jab (need 2) which for us was reasonable when opposed to having the illness (I still have scars and can remember well having it in childhood) and also when you consider how much time we would need off work to care for a child with an inevitable and yet preventable illness. There are enough endless colds etc to tend to!

Damegemma82 Sat 11-Jun-16 06:44:37

Yes I dread my 2 getting it. I remember vividly being laid in my mum and dads bed feeling absolutely dreadful. I couldn't have been older than 4. DD2 is only 5 weeks old so I worry about DD1 bringing it home from pre school. It's definitely something to think about, I didn't even know a chicken pox vaccination existed until I saw this!

Damegemma82 Sat 11-Jun-16 06:46:38

I think the men B is about £300 confused but it's awful knowing one of your kids will be vaccinated and the other one not.

bubblemcgubble Sun 12-Jun-16 07:03:32

I understand the chickenpox vaccination isn't offered as part of the NHS routine immunisations as there is concern it would increase the incidence of shingles in the elderly.

I have particularly strong feelings about the vaccination as my son had a stroke as a direct consequence of chickenpox. It was sudden and scary and we still don't know whether it has caused life long deficit or disability as he is still developing. It is a rare consequence of chickenpox but once this sort of thing happens it doesn't feel so rare anymore.

I would vaccinate if I had my time over. The benefits of the jab far outweigh any arguments against imo.

Damegemma82 Mon 13-Jun-16 06:37:42

That's awful bubble, I hope your little one has no long term effects at all. It's very scary and I'm seriously considering paying for my 2 to have the jab. We have our 6 week post natal check this week so I'll ask the GP. Although they will give me advice following current NHS guidelines!

ColdTeaAgain Wed 06-Jul-16 15:54:04

I have been doing some reading on this and have come to the conclusion that the first and foremost reason NHS don't vaccinate for chicken pox is an affordability issue.

I am quite keen to pay for it privately, but really struggling to get anywhere in terms of actually accessing it (south west England). Anyone got any ideas? Have seen other threads on this where ppl seem to have no problem getting CP vaccine but tends to be London areas.

captaincake Wed 06-Jul-16 16:20:36

cold I'm getting DS's chicken pox and men b done at our private gp but they do private vaccinations for non patients too. Have had first dose of both done waiting for the second doses now.

eurochick Wed 06-Jul-16 19:10:52

We got it along with Men B at a travel clinic (London/Surrey borders).

user1467967492 Fri 08-Jul-16 09:49:21

Southdowns private healthcare in Emsworth do both - for less than boots are offering now

Sillybillypoopoomummy Fri 08-Jul-16 14:30:35

We did chicken pox vaccination with both our two when they turned 1. We just rang up the surgery and they ordered it in for us. DS has very bad excema and is a very good scratcher so the thought of what he would do to himself if he got chicken pox was the prime motivator. It then seemed unfair not to do DD (they are 7 and 6 now and it cost £30 and £40 to have them done). I think DS still got it though - there was an outbreak at nursery and he came home with a little patch of 3 or 4 spots on his back which were gone by morning but looked very much like chicken pox spots...

Neither of them had any side effects of the jabs.

we are enquiring about men B but being told there is a 'shortage' of vaccine.

Sillybillypoopoomummy Fri 08-Jul-16 14:31:14

ps we are not in Cambridge

Sillybillypoopoomummy Fri 08-Jul-16 14:32:15

god - what I started to type was we are not in london, then thought I would say 'we are in Cambridge' and got in a tangle.
We are in Cambridge, sigh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now