Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Helping children cope with being apart

(9 Posts)
ElodieS Sun 05-Jun-16 16:34:10

DT1 is in hospital with a chest infection (both DTs have cf) at the moment (probably 2 weeks in total) and they're really struggling with being apart. DT2's behaviour is generally good but she's really challenging DH and they both cry at night about missing their DSis. DT2 can't visit because of infection risk. We've tried exchanging pictures and they FaceTime every day but they're not coping well this time and it hasn't been such a problem in the past.

TheFirie Mon 06-Jun-16 06:53:15

What about keeping FaceTime on all the time, just as if it was a webcam, so DT1 in hospital can be part of the daily life.
How old are the twins?

ElodieS Mon 06-Jun-16 07:25:41

They're 4. That's a good idea actually, DT2 will be in nursery during the day but it could work in the evenings. She'd probably be quite excited to see the docs and nurses as well actually!

TheFirie Mon 06-Jun-16 11:09:20

You can even organise an prank and put the iPad on the pillow in the hospital bed and tell DT1 to hide somewhere in the room and the twin at home can pretend to be the sick one. Of cours the nurses won't fall for it, but they might play along. Or ask the twin home to mirror all the thing DT1 does in the hospital when the doctors visit.

Hope she gets better soon and can return home smile

ElodieS Tue 07-Jun-16 16:14:46

Just wanted to say thanks Fririe. We did the prank this morning and it was hilarious, or DTs found it hilarious anyway! We put clothes and pillows under the sheets in a body shape then the i-pad on the pillow and I secretly prepped the nurse whilst DT1 hid and DT2 did her best impression of her DSis. It was so cheering to see them playing about together. Thank you for the brilliant suggestion! E x

TheFirie Tue 07-Jun-16 19:35:40

I am glad I did help to bring a smile on your DTs! [big grin]

TheFirie Tue 07-Jun-16 19:36:27

grin obviously

TheFirie Tue 07-Jun-16 19:50:02

it is a bit off topic, but have you ever seen one of these?

www.amazon.com/Double-Robotics-Telepresence-Robot-Tablet/dp/B00K2Z8LRW They are very expensive but in the long run, it might help with all the trips to the hospital so the DTs won't be cut out from not only one another but also from school. You could try a crowd sourcing or a very very sad face for the Daily Fail grin grin.
I plan to buy one for when my teenage son will ask to go out on a Saturday night!!

ElodieS Wed 08-Jun-16 10:24:58

Haha! That thing is amazing! I love the idea of you following your son around a nightclub using it too Firie!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now