Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Persistent and resistant facial rash -help!

(6 Posts)
dennant Fri 03-Jun-16 07:21:42

Hi all!

My daughter is almost two and for the past 6 weeks has had a bad rash all over her chin and onto her top lip and at the side of one nostril.
We have been to the gp 5 times with it. They confirmed it's fungal with swabs but none of the treatments are working.
We have tried clotrimazole, crystacide, and for the past 3 weeks trimovate which is a steroid cream. Nothing has worked. The trimovate seemed to start clearing it up but every other day she'd wake up with more spots for no reason. It has never fully gone away. Been using vaseline and sudacrem as barriers but I am at my wits end!!
Seems so itchy for her and looks so sore. Gp has told us to stop using the trimovate and to continue with barrier creams and go back to the thrush cream. Within 24hrs of this the rash has got worse again.
Gp has basically resigned to the "she'll grow out of it" mentality.
She does have a dummy at night and nap time only. Literally the second she wakes up we take it away. I know this doesn't help but she can't sleep without it yet.
ANY advice??????? This rash seems so bad and is just resisting all out efforts. She doesn't even seem that dribbly!!!
Calling on all mums knowledge- what worked for you?

L

dennant Fri 03-Jun-16 19:26:47

Any ideas anyone???

LIZS Fri 03-Jun-16 19:29:43

Is it impetigo?

jobrum Fri 03-Jun-16 19:32:51

No ideas about the cause or treatment (helpful!) but my dd gets horrible dry skin and rashes from drinbling. I found Lansinoh nipple cream to be a great barrier cream. Really stays put, much better than vaseline.

MewlingQuim Fri 03-Jun-16 19:43:53

I assume the infection was found to be candida as you say swabs were taken not skin scrapings, if it is an unusual species of candida it could be resistant to standard thrush creams. See if your GP is willing to get more swabs done to see if it is a resistant species of candida and to see if there is now a secondary bacterial infection.

dennant Fri 03-Jun-16 21:23:18

She's been on antibiotics in case it was impetigo but it didn't do anything to shift it. Will try getting the tests done again of the gp is willing. I think he thinks I'm pestering but will see what they say. I think I threw my lansinoh out but I'll try and get some more!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now