Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD(3) explosive bum

(10 Posts)
IrisPrima Wed 01-Jun-16 16:51:43

Hi. DD is 3, eats well, generally happy, right weight etc etc.

However, more often (used to be rarely, now once every week or two) she will complain of a poorly tummy, and when she goes to the loo she has (sorry) really explosive diarrhoea. Seriously it would put a full grown man to shame. Once it's all "out" she is generally fine until the next time.

Is it worthy of a doctors visit? I'm wondering if it could be a food intolerance although to be honest it's rare and she eats dairy, gluten etc every day so I don't see how it could be this. Her fathers side of the family do suffer with their guts though, apparently.

I don't want it to be IBS or something and to go undiagnosed.....

IrisPrima Wed 01-Jun-16 19:16:31

Hopeful bump?

From what Ive been googling I think it might be ibs...

IrisPrima Wed 01-Jun-16 21:12:27

Anyone?

DownstairsMixUp Wed 01-Jun-16 21:17:06

My dh has this and has ibs. All though as an adult the episodes are daily. He says its really painful. No pain killers work eithee unfortunetly he just has to go loo. sad maybe see the gp or health visitor?

ThatStewie Wed 01-Jun-16 21:18:41

Keep a diary of food she eats and when she has diarrhoea for a week. Then pop into GP to chat. Always worth getting it looked at as it could be a good intolerance or IBS.

IrisPrima Wed 01-Jun-16 21:54:42

It's so infrequent though that I'm wondering what kind of food it could be that she only reacts once a week or once a fortnight.

It is painful for her but she's absolutely fine once she's been to the loo. The amount of gas is quite amazing.

Does that sound like a food intolerance? It's very hard to find out what she is eating as yesterday she was at her dads so I have no info

Thanks for the replies

DownstairsMixUp Wed 01-Jun-16 21:57:45

If its that infrequent its possible. Food diary and ask her dad to keep one to?

IrisPrima Wed 01-Jun-16 21:59:50

Sorry I'm not clear - with it being infrequent is it more or less likely to be IBS or food intolerance (are they the same thing?)?

endoflevelbaddy Wed 01-Jun-16 22:09:48

It might be worth exploring with GP. I had IBS type symptoms explosive diarrhoea, nausea, cramps - no pattern but regular enough to be a concern and fine in between.
After a few attempts at testing (after 2-3 months of symptoms) they identified giardia lamblia - water borne infection common in 3rd world countries. Absolutely no idea how I'd picked it up (and since its trasferred by faecal matter would prefer not to envy <-not envy).
Very easily treated thankfully, but I did discover there's all kinds of stuff we can carry without realising, and easy to test for before starting to try identify food intolerances etc.

IrisPrima Wed 01-Jun-16 22:16:49

Ok thanks end. I'll take her in.

I'd say it's only been happening for a couple of months, maybe four max, so it's possible she's picked something up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now