Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Swollen tummy and belly button pain (6yo DS)

(8 Posts)
natashajayne Sun 29-May-16 22:15:08

My DS just came down stairs complaining of 'fullness in his tummy', pain in bellybutton area, his stomach is quite hard and sticking out. he has a temp of 38.2, flushed face and red ears. does anyone have experiance with appendicitis and can put my mind at ease? He fit and healthy otherwise and rarely never gets ill

MrsKCastle Sun 29-May-16 22:28:34

No experience, but didn't want to leave this unanswered. Have you tried calling 111? I think I would give some calpol and then see how he goes, unless he is in a lot of pain.

AnotherStitchInTime Sun 29-May-16 22:31:01

A&E that sounds a lot like appendicitis. We used to have cases quite frequently when I worked in a paediatric ward. If left it can lead to them being very poorly, better to get him seen than risk a ruptured appendix.

ThisFenceIsComfy Sun 29-May-16 22:36:34

Yes I'd be calling OOH or 111 at the very least. A hard belly is a bit concerning

han01uk Sun 29-May-16 22:40:12

Appendicitis in children starts with a fever,nausea and vomiting and pain centred around the belly button. I took my daughter in last week with the same symptoms and she was seen and given the all clear quickly. Worth getting it checked out,just to be sure.

Slippersandacuppa Sun 29-May-16 22:52:55

DS1 had appendicitis when he was 6. He had something that he described as a stitch that got progressively worse and he had a temperature but that was it. He's also normally fit and well. He just didn't look right. His pain was over to one side and hurt more when the pressure was removed than when it was applied.

If you're worried, call 101 and be prepared to go in - I imagine they'd rather be safe than sorry.

Hope he feels better soon.

Slippersandacuppa Sun 29-May-16 22:53:21

Sorry, meant 111!

MrsKCastle Mon 30-May-16 07:34:13

How is he doing this morning natashajayne?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now