Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

thorn in foot

(5 Posts)
ipsogenix Sun 15-May-16 17:17:54

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me with a spot of advice?

Ds has got a hawthorn thorn stuck in his foot and I am having a lot of trouble getting it out. I know that if it's left in then it will swell up by tomorrow and then it will be much harder to get it out, but ds is not letting me near it.

I have managed to make a slit in the skin with a razor blade, but it is not quite deep enough and ds will not let me do any more. I can just get hold of end of the thorn with my narrow dissection tweezers, but the thorn just slips and doesn't come out.

I tried numbing the pain with anbesol but it didn't seem to help.

Ds has had a lot of medical intervention in early years and now goes ballistic if someone even thinks about doing anything to him. He is 6 years old.

Is there a better way for a nurse to get this thorn out with an anaesthetic? Should I take him somewhere tonight or is tomorrow okay?

Thanks!

Gowgirl Sun 15-May-16 17:20:25

Go get it removed!

ipsogenix Sun 15-May-16 17:21:45

Where do I go on a sunday night to get a thorn removed?

MrsJayy Sun 15-May-16 17:25:16

Take him to a &e or minor injuries if you have 1 its probably best to get it out today if you cant get it out

Idefix Sun 15-May-16 17:53:05

Long bath in salty water may help draw it out and if you have it a dab of magnesium sulphate paste and a dressing to keep it in place overnight. Trip to practice nurse/minor injuries unit tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now