Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Toddler reaction to fabric softener? (Photo attached)

(17 Posts)
InsaneDame Wed 11-May-16 18:43:29

Started using new fabric softener a few days ago and this morning found this rash on 2yo DS. It went after about 30mins but throughout the day he has been having patches come and go - mainly on arms and legs, a few on his face and one patch on chest. He doesn't seem to find them itchy, they just feel very hot. They come up quickly then go within 30 minutes. Could it be a reaction to the softener? I've washed his bedding and clothes in the old stuff now, just in case.

BabyGanoush Wed 11-May-16 18:44:41

It's not unusual for kids to be allergic to fabric softener.

ThinkPinkStink Wed 11-May-16 18:47:01

It could be a response to fabric softener (my skin is pretty sensitive, and tends to go red and blotchy if I use certain fabric softeners/washing powders).

But I've never had the raised white rash that your DS has, if anything it looks to me more like heat rash.

I guess the old gold standard of 'keep it clean and cool and see a doc if it doesn't clear up in a couple of days and/or he shows illness symptoms' applies ;)

Buzzardbird Wed 11-May-16 18:51:04

Is it a sensitive skin conditioner?

Sudocrem will help it.

InsaneDame Wed 11-May-16 18:52:00

He is absolutely fine otherwise, the rashes don't even seem to bother him unless it comes up on his face. He has had heat rash before but looked very different and didn't come and go in different places as quickly as this does.

InsaneDame Wed 11-May-16 18:53:34

It says 'kind to skin' but not one specifically marketed for sensitive skin. I normally use comfort pure, which has been fine. This one was comfort with jojoba oil (on offer and love the smell!)

Gatehouse77 Wed 11-May-16 19:04:04

My youngest reacts to soaps, fabric conditioners, etc. We found that Comfort Pure was the only one she doesn't react to. Also, we stick with Sainsbury's non-bio tablets.

Fairy, Ecover, Persil all gave her a reaction and any perfumed fabric conditioners. My sister gave her some item of clothing of hers and it took a few washes before DD could wear it.

Worst times are when she reacts to the sheets when we are away. She really, really suffered on her Y4 residential. As did the poor teacher who stayed with her until she finally fell asleep because the sneezing and scratching kept waking her as she was drifting off!

TheBriscoesLady Fri 13-May-16 21:39:02

My DS (3) has just had the same thing and looks exactly as you describe. I also recently bought some new fabric softener I'd never bought before. It's from Aldi. Will re-wash his clothes and see how he gets on. Hope your DS is ok

InsaneDame Fri 13-May-16 22:07:00

Went to the drs in the end who said it was an allergic reaction, probably to the softener as that is the only 'new' thing. She prescribed some antihistamine, which helped a lot. He hasn't had any new patches today - I re-washed all his clothes and bedding but have left our other sons and our stuff for now.

InsaneDame Sat 14-May-16 10:16:18

I need more help! So I've washed all his things so thought we would be OK but he had a massive patch of the rash come up on his arm after breakfast. I'm pretty sure he hasn't come into contact with anything that might have the softener on. Any ideas? Could it still be an ongoing reaction?

Buzzardbird Sat 14-May-16 10:35:35

Think I'd look for other causes. Anything where he sits, a throw on the sofa, a toy bear that has been through the wash, a coat he has worn, towel after bath?

InsaneDame Sat 14-May-16 10:40:54

Changed his towel and ruled out all the other things you mentioned. My mum gave him a teddy bear a couple of days ago which he has slept with the last two nights. She made it herself and is knitted so woolly, could he be reacting to that? I will have a huge fight on my hands if I stopped letting him have it, he has grown very attached very quickly.

unlucky83 Sat 14-May-16 11:00:25

If it hasn't been I'd wash the bear ...if nec you can probably un-stuff it to do it - the wool might have been treated with something - dye etc that might be causing it.
(I've had a nasty reaction to something that started out as small itchy patches - no anti histamines - I came up in hives all over that ran into each other into raised weals - eg my knees were twice their normal size - had to have steriods. I never found out what caused it but I had a similar reaction but not as bad a number of years later when I wore some new PJs for one night and didn't wash them first - I now wash all new clothing before wearing for me and the DCs.)
Or it could be an allergy to lanolin - in which case I think the bear will have to go sad

The other thing to check is for Methylisothiazolinone in fabric conditioner and shampoos etc en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylisothiazolinone
I react to it -and eg it is in Tescos baby shampoo but not Johnsons. And just because you have always used something don't assume it is 'safe' as manufacturers change their formulations and don't always say (Nivea face cream did this!) - although if it is several products you use on your DS you can probably rule it out.

Buzzardbird Sat 14-May-16 11:02:22

Lots of babies are allergic to wool (lanolin). You might have found the culprit.

Buzzardbird Sat 14-May-16 11:05:08

Also shampoos and washing creams with parabens and sulphites in can cause problems. The so called baby brands are full of nastiness.

InsaneDame Sat 14-May-16 11:15:58

This started the day before he was given the bear though. It was definitely the fabric softener to begin with, maybe he is just hyper sensitive now. I just realised that he was bare foot in his slippers this morning and the last time he wore them was with socks on that I had washed with the softener. Could they have left a residue inside?

InsaneDame Sat 14-May-16 17:46:43

So I've just washed his hands with a hand wash we have had for a couple of weeks..... 10 minutes later he has patches coming up all over him. I think I may have found another culprit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now