Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Tooth grinding in DD

(9 Posts)
Naicecuppatea Mon 09-May-16 23:15:02

She grinds her teeth constantly at night. She is 5. What can I do, it sounds awful? Will it damage her teeth?

MatthewWrightIsThick Tue 10-May-16 00:45:35

How about taking her to see the dentist? My son did this and it gave him terrible headaches.

Littlelondoner Tue 10-May-16 00:50:45

I have tmj and do this when stressed. Causes me terrible jaw ache. And yes it has damaged my teeth by grinding them down. Trip to dentist will be helpful.

Naicecuppatea Tue 10-May-16 14:53:16

Thanks both, I have made a dentist appointment for her.

MatthewWrightIsThick Tue 10-May-16 16:05:25

Good luck, Hope he sorts it out for her.

Coldest Tue 10-May-16 16:08:32

Its completely normal in kids and she will outgrow it . nothing to worry about

LittlePoot Tue 10-May-16 16:13:38

Mine does it too and he's 5 now. I've mentioned it to the dentist every six months when we go for his check up and she doesn't seem concerned. She said it'll be something to look at if he's still doing it when his big teeth come through. It does sound horrible doesn't it!!

CherishFindensRulerOfDeath Tue 10-May-16 16:43:42

DD does it too, and she's 5. It sounds really awful. I have worn and cracked teeth from grinding them, so I'm really hoping she doesn't continue the habit.

Thankfulforeveryday Tue 10-May-16 16:51:03

I do this as an adult and have done for over ten years. The dentists mounded me a gum shield to protect my teeth but now I have Botox injected into my jaw to stop it. It works, but doubtful they will use this on a child. The gum shield worked but was annoying and I just started to clench instead of grind!! V annoying!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now