Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Potential colour confusion

(4 Posts)
DMjournosrscum Mon 09-May-16 21:34:35

My brother has colour confusion. He can tell the difference between red and green but if you put two similar shades together eg v light green and white together he can't differeniate. My son is 4 he is having issues naming certain colours eg can't tell difference between red and orange esp if next to each other. I'm keen to find out whether he too is colour confused before he starts school. I know tge standard test is to pick numbers out of dots. However he is too young to reliably name numbers. Does anyone know if the do a preschooler version of this test? TIA.

bayworld Tue 10-May-16 08:33:13

Definitely too early to reliably name the colours. I never rely on a 4 year olds responses unless the are a definite pass with the colour test. Having said that, if you have a brother who is colour defective (we try not to use colour blind these days) then, unfortunately your son has an increased chance of being colour defective. Having said that (again!) it really isn't that serious and will only rule him out of a low number of occupations (e.g. electrician) if he is colour defective. I have a preschooler test though my workplace has very much an emphasis on young ones - I'm not sure how many optometrists have the preschooler check. Even though I have this test, it still can sometimes be difficult to decide if a 4 year old is colour defective.

Haudyerwheesht Wed 11-May-16 19:45:02

I wouldn't worry about it. Ds is similarly colour defective and it's never caused any issues whatsoever at school.

DMjournosrscum Thu 12-May-16 20:33:15

Glad to know it's not causing your son any issues at school. And I'll speak with nursery to see if they have the test there. Not particularly worried my brother has never been affected by it other than he couldn't join thE RAF. Would just be useful to know I guess. Thanks for your help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now