Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cavities for my 2 years old DS

(21 Posts)
cenathrish Mon 09-May-16 12:58:19

My 2 years old DS has cavities. I was really shocked when his dentist Dr. Ken Wolch in Toronto ( www.centenarydental.com/childrens-dentistry/ )told me this. He said nothing is to worry but my mind is not taking it. I feel really sad, I didn't know he had cavities until last Friday when I took him for check up. I couldn't ask anything to the dentist as I was very much shocked. He told it might be because of the nursing during the bedtime. He asked me to stop nursing him before bed or if I'm doing so I should wipe off the stains before my DS sleeps. I feel like I'm not a good mom. Has anyone here had a similar situation? What did you do with the cavities?

00100001 Mon 09-May-16 16:26:40

Surely he wouldn't get cavities form breastfeeding, he would get them from not brushing his teeth properly? confused

00100001 Mon 09-May-16 16:27:14

and yeah, maybe drop the night time feed or brush teeth after feeding?

dementedpixie Sat 14-May-16 19:11:21

I don't think breastfeeding contributes to tooth decay. I'd look at his diet first. Culprits are dried fruits, juices, other sticky foods that linger in crevices. Do you brush twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste too? Should be done in the morning and just before bed

00100001 Sun 15-May-16 15:55:05

Why wouldn't it contribute to tooth decay?

gamerchick Sun 15-May-16 15:57:45

How is his teeth brushing?

dementedpixie Sun 15-May-16 19:28:54

kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/tooth-decay/

chocomochi Mon 16-May-16 20:02:04

What are his teeth like? Both my girls have hyper mineralisation, which basically means their teeth didn't form properly. The dentist likened their back teeth to be more like chalk than marble (how it should be), so they are more prone to decay and cavities. Could this be the case with your DC?

SolsburyHell Mon 16-May-16 20:03:38

Why the name of the dentist and the link?

TheWiseOldFairy Mon 16-May-16 20:05:53

My DD has enamel hypoplasia which means the enamel on her teeth failed to form normally. She is prone to cavities as a result. Did the dentist mention anything like this for your DC?

fanjoforthemammaries Mon 16-May-16 20:07:32

Breastfeeding before bed without brushing teeth can indeed cause decay. Breast milk is very sweet.

dementedpixie Mon 16-May-16 20:12:28

Did you read the link? If the teeth are brushed at the end of the day after food and before bed then breastfeeding afterwards does not contribute to tooth decay

fanjoforthemammaries Mon 16-May-16 20:13:33

Yes..I don't take that link as gospel

fanjoforthemammaries Mon 16-May-16 20:14:10

However it would be helpful if an actual dentist gave their informed opinion here smile I just work for one.

fanjoforthemammaries Mon 16-May-16 20:15:33

I mean this link says that breastfeeding after 2 IS linked to tooth decay

mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBREA2D1Q820140314

dementedpixie Mon 16-May-16 20:47:22

That link says:

Our study does not suggest that breastfeeding causes caries," Chaffee said.

It is possible that breast milk in conjunction with excess refined sugar in modern foods may be contributing to the greater tooth decay seen in babies breastfed the longest and most often, the authors speculate in their report.

Also says:

Brushing teeth might help, Chaffee said, The study researchers collected data on tooth brushing habits, but did not investigate a specific link between cleaning teeth after the last feeding and caries.

It does not really go against what the link I posted said I.e. Brush teeth after food if you are going to breastfeed afterwards

fanjoforthemammaries Mon 16-May-16 21:01:53

Would truly be interested to know what current thinking in dentistry is on this.

May ask dentists tomorrow.

AnotherTimeMaybe Tue 17-May-16 01:31:42

fanjo please tell us what he says as Ds still feeds in the night so worried about same problem

cenathrish Thu 19-May-16 07:04:35

fanjo What did your dentist say about this?

fanjoforthemammaries Thu 19-May-16 07:33:35

Sorry, we were super busy and 8 didn't get chance to ask. Boss can be somewhat grumpy . I don't think it is anything to get hugely worried about though.

fanjoforthemammaries Thu 19-May-16 07:34:30

There are loads of dentists on MN..Maybe you could start thread to ask them smile am not at work rest of week

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now