Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Stammering

(4 Posts)
Yummymummy6613 Sat 07-May-16 13:39:06

Hello, my nearly 3 year old has suddenly started stammering it is at the beginning of every sentence, he is currently waiting for an appointment to see if he has cerebral palsy, is this related or something else??

hazeyjane Sun 08-May-16 06:30:24

I don't know about a connection to cerebral palsy, but 2 of my children stammer - dd2 started when she was 2, she had very good speech, and it really upset her, so we had speech and language therapy and it has improved massively, sometimes she still gets stuck at the start of a word (she is 9 now). Ds is 6 and has a severe speech disorder, and it is connected to that, SALT says not to worry about it ATM as it doesn't upset him.

How is his speech generally?

Does it upset him??

It might be worth asking about cerebral palsy question on the SN children board.

DMjournosrscum Mon 09-May-16 21:27:26

Hi my 3 year old had a really bad stammer delayed speech and pronunciation difficulties. After a year his stammer has practically disappeared. Whilst you are waiting for SALT the things we have been doing is making sure we don't interrupt or finish his words,don't tell him to slow down use closed questions so he just has to say yes or no and takes the pressure off. Let him lead conversations, make statements rather than asking questions, use turn taking games. Good luck salt are really good with stammering and should prioritise him

sadie9 Tue 10-May-16 18:45:49

There is really good advice for parents on the British Stammering Association website.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now