Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Tell me how scarlet fever starts please?

(6 Posts)
Millionairerow Tue 03-May-16 23:49:26

2 confirmed cases at nursery. Dd who is 3 has small white spots on tongue which have caused her pain. No other symptoms yet though she Asked for medicine only to wake up 1'hour later whimper re pain and gave ibuprofen. She is sound now but has pink cheeks. Her sister just had something nasty but Dr diagnosed ear infection but she was in extreme pI and couldn't walk for 24 hours which she's ne had with eRs before. Anyone got experience of scarlet fever so I know whT to look out for?

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Wed 04-May-16 23:08:34

My youngest had a high temperature and was then sick, thought it was a stomach virus at first! The sandpaper type rash, swollen glands and sore throat and strawberry tongue appeared next morning. Oldest son followed a similar course, but about 2 weeks later. My youngest has never caught it, but have just received email from school as there has been a case of it.

Ipsos Thu 05-May-16 08:09:18

With my ds his tongue was swollen and bright red. He looked as though he just had a bad cold, but his temperature was 38.8 and wouldn't come down below 38 with calpol. If the temperature won't come below 38 with calpol they give antibiotics more or less automatically, which will sort it out very fast. I didn't know that at the time and we got the whole shebang. Weeks for not eating and antibiotics and whatnot.

LIZS Thu 05-May-16 08:12:00

Very sore throat, temp, sickness. Red cheeks , dry skin and more pimply rash on torso.

BarbarianMum Thu 05-May-16 13:27:07

If no other symptoms then white spots on tongue could be oral thrush which makes tongue very sore. You can get special creams to treat this (I think over the counter).

JSlondon Sat 07-May-16 01:09:47

Rash on tummy following a cold. Red cheeks the day after

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now