Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Nine year old starting period yet totally undeveloped

(13 Posts)
Undercooked Fri 29-Apr-16 09:53:04

My DD is 9 and 8 months and started her period this morning.

She is a tiny little thing, no hint of curves, skinny little child body, short for her age, no other hints of puberty, she is often mistaken for being much younger than she is.

Is it normal to start periods before anything else? And should I take her to the GP as she is so young?

Undercooked Fri 29-Apr-16 10:15:12

Bump

flutterby77 Fri 29-Apr-16 10:28:58

Hi, have you ever had her short size investigated? There is a condition called russell silver syndrome (my son has it) which causes short stature and precocious puberty. Just a random thought but it jumped out at me reading your post.

Treetopchallenger Sat 30-Apr-16 11:52:44

I would take her. Usually breast buds come before periods and some pubic hair.

Treetopchallenger Sat 30-Apr-16 11:53:11

Also are you sure it's her period? Not bleeding for another reason.

mayhew Sun 01-May-16 22:53:11

It's not unusual to start at 9. However it is unusual in a tiny girl like yours. Needs a doctor review.

dementedpixie Mon 02-May-16 20:13:49

Precocious puberty is puberty starting under the age of 8 so your Dd hasn't started ultra early. It's unusual to start without other signs first as puberty normally follows certain stages- Tanner stages. I would see a GP but they may just say it's within normal age ranges

Undercooked Mon 02-May-16 20:43:23

Thanks all. We have a GP appointment in the morning. The thing is that I am now unsure whether it was a period. She did bleed but only for a few hours and nothing since.

And I don't hunk it's Russel Silver. She's petite but not startlingly so.

anklemcankle Tue 03-May-16 09:40:22

OP could she have bumped herself. My dd id similar at that age and it turned out it was from falling off her bike - she had fallen into the edge of the seat. She nearly 12 now and no periods yet!

Treetopchallenger Wed 04-May-16 20:38:14

How did the GP appointment go? Hope you are reassured.

plimsolls Wed 04-May-16 20:41:34

I remember this happening to me when I was about 9 or 10, after horse riding and I think it must have been hymen breaking (I did feel a sharp pain) Perhaps that's what's happened to your DD? I hope the doc helped, reassurance if nothing else.

Undercooked Wed 04-May-16 21:01:33

Thanks all. GP thinks it was her hyman. Her hyman is broken but can't tell for sure that it was recent. Certainly wasn't a period as it was so sure and so long before any other sign of puberty.

Panicmode1 Wed 04-May-16 21:04:46

This happened to my DD - she was 9, and is skinny as a rake, tall but totally underdeveloped. She had a tiny bit of bleeding 3 months in a row so I went to the GP. She said that it was very unlikely to be periods because she had no other signs of puberty and that periods are the last thing to happen after breast buds, hips etc....So, she said to keep an eye but she wouldn't do any tests until 6 months of bleeding. She hasn't bled since that trip to the GP, is still not developing and is turning 11 in July!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now