Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD possible broken index finger? What to do?

(7 Posts)
BigginsforPope Thu 28-Apr-16 21:42:22

Dd (age 12) came home from school today with a bruised and swollen index finger. She hurt it during a sports lesson but didn't tell the teacher or anyone at school.
It is approximately twice the size of her other index finger and very purple underneath but no obvious deformity. She is complaining about the pain but is not massively distressed although she is avoiding using her hand for anything.

I've strapped the finger up according to the nhs site with cotton wool, tape and two lolly sticks.
I am not sure A&E would do anything different but I Am prepared to take her tomorrow if she is in the same level of pain.

Any thoughts/experiences?

Maladicta Thu 28-Apr-16 21:46:08

You need to get it looked at in case it's a complex break. I've taken my boys several times and always been told you should get fractures checked out - even if it seems only a finger! They have usually had a referral to the hand clinic to make sure it's healing properly.

Do you have a minor injuries unit nearby? They can do an initial xray and refer on if necessary.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 28-Apr-16 21:48:40

I would get it checked, dd broke a bone in her foot and the concern was that it was across a growth plate.

LindorBunny Thu 28-Apr-16 21:51:26

Fingers do need checking out. A badly healed broken finger can cause no end of issues.

BigginsforPope Thu 28-Apr-16 21:55:18

No minor injuries here - it would be A&E.

BigginsforPope Thu 28-Apr-16 22:18:29

Poor dd is still awake complaining about her sore finger. It looks like a trip to hospital for us tomorrow then.

Maladicta Thu 28-Apr-16 22:34:11

We've always been advised to ice them and give paracetamol (sports injuries aplenty here)
Even if they confirm a simple break, it will mean you know what going on.
Any finger breaks have usually been accompanied by some time off sport so you can be prepared!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now