Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

My 6 year old son has 'Pityriasis Alba' white patches...I am very worried.

(3 Posts)
therealhyper Wed 27-Apr-16 21:38:51

Hi,
My son recently developed white patches across his face and body and it seems to be getting worse, with the white patches spreading across his neck, chest, face.

Our doctor said it is something called 'Pityriasis Alba' and will eventually go away.
But as it has spread, he has refereed us to the dermatologist to be sure.

I am very worried and feel guilty for him being like this. I am very concerned his conidition may get worse and also he may get bullied in school for the way he looks.

Has anyone experienced anything like this and how did you go about tackling and improving the condition ?

Thank you.

MattDillonsPants Thu 28-Apr-16 02:15:34

I had Pityriasis Rosacea and my patches were red. It did go away just as your DS's will. It took a few weeks.

The cream the doctor gave me didn't seem to do anything but as he said, they just go of their own accord.

Do avoid him being exposed to too much sunlight as this can make it worse...but obviously don't keep him in the dark! Have him wear a hat...ask the GP about sunblock too...is it ok to use it or will it irritate his skin. Long sleeved shirts if he's out and about.

It's not a serious condition and it tends not to come back once someone has had it.

Out2pasture Thu 28-Apr-16 02:42:14

My son has vitiligo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now