Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Lip tie

(6 Posts)
NeedACleverNN Tue 26-Apr-16 12:34:53

As ds has gotten older (he's nearly 14 months now) it's becoming obvious he has quite a thick string that goes between his two top teeth.

This has left a noticeable gap and when he smiles you rarely see his top teeth as his lips are pulled down.

I really don't know how to even start broaching this. As silly as it sounds.

Dd, now 3, was diagnosed with tongue tie and it still hasn't been snipped. It was picked up at birth but there was no one in the hospital who was allowed to snip it. As time went on, no one knew what to do. We eventually for referred to a paediatrian who didn't want to do anything as by now she 1 years old and was able to eat with no issue. We have since been discharged from his care.

She still has the tongue tie now and it's obvious as you can see it when she's talking. At the moment she messes certain letters up which my family keep putting down to her tongue. I think it's just a normal speech thing for a 3 year old. Eg. Lellow instead of yellow

Should I be going to the doctor to ask for BOTH children to be referred? None? One?

Any help would be massively appreciated.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Tue 26-Apr-16 15:21:17

Yes. Get your gp to check them both.

Dd had her tongue tie cut at a week old. It is scarring a bit now, but they weren't concerned.

Your gp will know who to refer to.

As a baby, dd was done in the local hospital. As a 3 year old, we went to alder hey. As local one only did babies.

ktmummy1 Tue 26-Apr-16 15:44:31

Lellow for yellow is normal for her age. The fact she can articulate a 'l' sound would indicate she is able to elevate her tongue. However, go to your health visitor about both for advice. My ds had his tongue tie snipped at 16weeks old as it was affecting his feeding.

NeedACleverNN Tue 26-Apr-16 15:49:16

So see a dr for both?

Newmanwannabe Fri 29-Apr-16 04:55:26

If you're on Facebook join one of the baby tongue tie groups, You will be able to the find some recommended local providers. A paediatric dentist who does laser could laser the upper lip, you could get a review and then maybe wait until he's older. As if your only problem is cosmetic, at three it would probably be done under a general anaesthetic.

Judgeaway Fri 29-Apr-16 06:37:18

My Ds had his tongue tie cut at about 3 months as he was loosing weight as couldn't feed properly. His lip tie he broke himself while shoving a toy in his mouth grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now