Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS sleeping from 1-2pm in afternoon until 7am next day...

(185 Posts)
getyourfingeroutyournose Mon 25-Apr-16 17:59:43

Been going on for about 2 weeks now where he just sleeps and sleeps and sometimes complains of a headache.
I've booked him in for doctors on wednesday but what else can I do? Should I be worried about this excessive tiredness?

AStreetcarNamedBob Mon 25-Apr-16 18:00:19

What age?

getyourfingeroutyournose Mon 25-Apr-16 18:40:51

He's 4

Ninjagogo Mon 25-Apr-16 18:43:05

Umm, not helpful but I would be getting an emergency appointment. But then my kids rarely sleep for more than a few hours.....

lisaneedsarest Mon 25-Apr-16 18:44:17

That doesn't sound normal to me, I think you are correct to go to the doctors. I've got no idea what could be wrong though but someone else might be able to give you better advice.

Backingvocals Mon 25-Apr-16 18:44:23

That doesn't sound right. I'd be getting an urgent opinion.

TyrionLannistersShadow Mon 25-Apr-16 18:45:58

He's been sleeping 18 hrs a day for the past 2 weeks and complaining of headaches and you haven't brought him to the doctor yet? Seriously? I think he needs to be seen sooner rather than later, that's certainly not normal.

Ninjagogo Mon 25-Apr-16 18:46:36

Any fever? Reduced eating pattern? Growth spurt? Trying to think of obvious things....

Hulababy Mon 25-Apr-16 18:53:28

Have you called Nhs 111 or whatever it's called these days and asked them re symptoms?

Hulababy Mon 25-Apr-16 18:53:46

Have you called Nhs 111 or whatever it's called these days and asked them re symptoms?

Haudyerwheesht Mon 25-Apr-16 18:54:59

I would be getting him seen as a matter of urgency

Xmasbaby11 Mon 25-Apr-16 18:57:47

If I couldn't get a same day appointment I'd take him straight to a and E. I'm shocked they didn't agree to see him straight away. No way would I wait til Wednesday.

DurhamDurham Mon 25-Apr-16 18:58:12

Definitely not normal, I haven't heard of any four year old sleeping that long, I'm not surprised about the headaches as he's likely to be dehydrated a lot of the time.

He needs to be seen asap, ring 111 and I think they'll tell you to get him seen as a priority.

DurhamDurham Mon 25-Apr-16 18:58:18

Definitely not normal, I haven't heard of any four year old sleeping that long, I'm not surprised about the headaches as he's likely to be dehydrated a lot of the time.

He needs to be seen asap, ring 111 and I think they'll tell you to get him seen as a priority.

AStreetcarNamedBob Mon 25-Apr-16 19:11:59

You need to have him seen urgently. TWO WEEKS!!?

ithinkitstimeforanamechange Mon 25-Apr-16 20:33:59

I would be seriously concerned after 2 days let alone weeks!

What is he like at the times he is awake?
If you try to wake him up how easy is he to wake?

To be honest if really sleeping that much every day I would get him Seen urgently.

Ikeameatballs Mon 25-Apr-16 20:35:07

Take him to A+E now.

AnyFucker Mon 25-Apr-16 20:35:45

this sounds very worrying

bloodyteenagers Mon 25-Apr-16 20:36:53

And it's only now you have bothered to think oh maybe this isn't right?

Treetopchallenger Mon 25-Apr-16 20:40:08

I really hope you are exaggerating as that is really worrying. Why's he like when awake? I would et him seen ASAP.

idontlikealdi Mon 25-Apr-16 20:43:22

Two weeks, seriously?

getyourfingeroutyournose Mon 25-Apr-16 20:50:13

To clarify he saw a doctor when he'd been like it for three days. I thought the first two were him being tired from nursery but three days in the headaches started. I was told it was a growth spurt as otherwise he was fine and active and eating better than normal and I felt like I was being judged a bit for overreacting (almost like I was trying to make out like my son was worse than he is) but it's just not sitting well with me at all and hasn't even when I got a doctors opinion... I'm not sure wednesday will really help me either because the doctor is likely to back up what the last one said surely?

getyourfingeroutyournose Mon 25-Apr-16 20:53:18

I probably should have mentioned the doctor before but I think I really want to know if I would be silly to take him to a and e for this now even though they said I have an appt on wednesday... sorry to dripfeed.

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Mon 25-Apr-16 20:59:03

Is he behaving differently when he is awake, OP? Does he seem unwell?

getyourfingeroutyournose Mon 25-Apr-16 21:11:42

Not really hopeless if anything he is more active than normal when he's with me... he also eats more which I suppose supports the growth spurt theory but should it really last this long?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now