Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Tooth extraction under sedation

(7 Posts)
Fab41 Mon 25-Apr-16 17:56:12

My son is 12 and has weak enamel on his back teeth. As soon as they erupted, the enamel was a problem. One tooth was filled, but we have always known it would need to be removed. IT has now been filled again twice, and is scheduled for extraction under sedation this Friday.

However he absolutely hates needles and has a panic attack even thinking about it. How will they cope with this? It is painful and stressful enough for him when they were filled, I can't see him coping with this very well.

Any experience?

FuzzyOwl Mon 25-Apr-16 17:59:25

I suspect he will find it much easier than sitting in a chair for a long time whilst his tooth is filled. It will just be one needle in the back of his hand and then he will feel warm and sleepy, until he wakes up with no recollection.

MrsOs Mon 25-Apr-16 18:06:06

Give them a call they might be able to do the mask..

MrsOs Mon 25-Apr-16 18:06:35

After that he will be out of it wont remember a thing

Fab41 Mon 25-Apr-16 19:26:03

I mentioned a needle in the back of the hand and he started freaking out at that. Good to hear they may be able to do mask instead. The less intervention the better!

MrsOs Mon 25-Apr-16 21:33:16

Give them a call to,orrow and explain, sedation is done at a referral clinic and they are experts in this stuff.

DrCoconut Sat 30-Apr-16 15:45:27

May be too late for you OP but for anyone else ask them to use numbing cream. DS1 is having sedation next month for a tooth out (he's 17 but has SN) and they have said they will. I had numbing for my drip when I had DS3 and found it really good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now