Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

help. could this be leukaemia? white blood cells. pain in bones in DS10. panicking.

(11 Posts)
EightToSixer Mon 25-Apr-16 11:17:59

D'S, 10 this week. He's been unwell, catching every virus, pale with dark circles under eyes, very tired and lethargic. Stomach cramps in upper abdomen and a persistent dry cough.

He had blood tests 2 weeks ago which showed low white blood cells. 4.4 and Neutrophil of 1.4

He's having another blood test next week but I'm concerned about possible leukaemia and Dr doesn't seem to have linked the low white cells worry bone pain, cough and stomach cramps. Suggesting we check for asthma (definitely not got this) & constipation (ditto).

Is there anything else I should be asking, anything I've missed? Does anyone have a similar experience good or bad to share?

GreenMarkerPen Mon 25-Apr-16 11:24:36

go back, different gp if possible.
tell them what you wrotd here (print out your op to take with you)

good luck!

EightToSixer Mon 25-Apr-16 17:12:58

Dr said that they do not need to see us until the next blood results are back next week.

theredjellybean Mon 25-Apr-16 17:20:57

that is a normal wcc and neutraphils only just below normal

Stinkyfeet Mon 25-Apr-16 17:21:27

GPs are notoriously bad at spotting signs of childhood cancers - not their fault entirely, just that they don't see many so often don't even consider it.

Depending on your level of concern, you could take him to A & E, describe his symptoms and ask them to test for leukaemia. I know this won't be popular advice, but it worked for us (different cancer).

theredjellybean Mon 25-Apr-16 17:42:07

stinky ..the blood tests are test for leukemia and the Ops child's results are not very abnormal at all.

what test do you think a&e is going to do ?

sorry that your gp has made you anxious OP but this is neither an accident nor an emergency .

Ibelieve123 Mon 25-Apr-16 17:54:38

I have no idea what your local nhs is like. But with ours (Somerset ) I have found it to be excellent.
My dd had symptoms that were v v similar to leukaemia. I remember taking her to docs who sent us to hospital straight away. She was tested & diagnosed within 3 hours (it wasn't leukaemia but a different type of blood disorder)
Now on check ups if her counts are lower than a certain level they usually ring within an hour of receiving the blood samples. I'm just telling you this to reassure you that doctors know what there doing & won't mess about with children's health.
Have some faith in your doctor. Or if you are really really concerned that he has it wrong then get a 2nd opinion.

originalmavis Mon 25-Apr-16 17:57:53

When dad had leukemia spotted it was diagnosed the same day (routine blood check). They don't hang around. I think you have lots of bruises with it.

WindPowerRanger Mon 25-Apr-16 18:01:37

After a period of being unwell and fatigued I had blood tests and my neutrophils were very low, and stubbornly stayed that way over a period.

I was told by a consultant that low neutrophils on their own are not especially significant and in fact my neutrophils were simply naturally low, as is common in people of certain races.

So, don't despair, but do persevere for a diagnosis.

TheAussieProject Tue 26-Apr-16 03:44:30

When my friend's DD did a blood test for her unwell daughter, she had her GP at her door 4 hours after. The lab spotted the leukaemia straight away and called the doctor who went to see her at home. Later that same day, she had a bone marrow test which confirmed the diagnosis.
So rest assured, if the white cells count was worrying, you wouldn't be at home right now but in an oncology ward.

Labtest7 Tue 26-Apr-16 08:37:42

My daughter had acute lymphoblastic leukaemia at 4. Her only symptom at diagnosis was leg pain but her blood results showed a high white cell count. Almost every child I've known with leukaemia had a high white count upon diagnosis. Hope you get some answers at the next appointment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now