Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

strawberry birth mark

(12 Posts)
FTM1110 Thu 21-Apr-16 17:14:16

I think this is a strawberry birth mark on my little girl's back?? Please help...would you have Drs check this out?

BendydickCuminsnatch Thu 21-Apr-16 17:36:38

How old is she? I do think birth marks can come up for a while after they're born but I'd get it looked at anyway (I am in no way a medical person!)

I had a strawberry mark on the side of my head until I was around 5, then it faded. im not saying you'd want it to fade, but just FYI! smile

icclemunchy Thu 21-Apr-16 17:41:15

DD1 has a large straberry birthmark ( heamangioma) on her face. They usually gro rapidly for the first year then gradually fade. DDs was treated with propanolol as it was affecting her feeding but usually they are left to do their thing.

Keep an eye on it because they can ulcerate and if knocked bleed a startling amount. It's worth getting it documented in her red book by the hv/dr but it doesn't really need to be seen as such smile

SignoraStronza Thu 21-Apr-16 17:43:02

Mine had one like that on her shoulder (plus two more smaller ones elsewhere). If a newborn, be prepared for it to puff up significantly over the next few days, if it is a strawberry naevae rather than a port wine stain kind of birthmark. Dd is 3.5 now and it has gone down and faded quite a lot - they pretty much disappear completely by 7/8 I believe.

aginghippy Thu 21-Apr-16 17:46:18

Doctors don't treat strawberry marks unless they are interfering with a vital function - eating, breathing, seeing, etc. If it's on the child's back, it's presumably not causing any problem. They are not painful.

My DD had a couple. They grow for a few months, then eventually shrink and fade.

FTM1110 Thu 21-Apr-16 19:10:21

Baby is 4 and a half weeks old and think will book into Drs to just get documented. Thanks for advice everyone

bastedyoungturkey Thu 21-Apr-16 19:21:20

DD was born with one and referred to a consultant as it was bigger than a 5p. The consultant wasn't at all bothered- DD's is in her chest. He said if it was somewhere that interfered with eating/seeing it was catching on her clothes and getting irritated then they'd operate, otherwise they tend to just disappear over time.

I think you'd be right to get it checked first hand though.

MaryPoppinsPenguins Thu 21-Apr-16 19:24:42

I had one of those on my forehead when I was born, I'm in my thirties now and it disappeared sometime in my childhood, there's no sign of it at all.

OvariesBeforeBrovaries Thu 21-Apr-16 19:30:23

DD had one at birth and was referred to paediatrician. She's two now and it's starting to shrink. They've said they'll remove it if it hasn't gone by the time she needs to start wearing a bra, due to the position of it, but it should fade by then.

Always good to get it recorded in the red book etc so I'd mention it to HV/GP.

misspym Thu 21-Apr-16 19:33:27

DD had one on her ear and one under her arm and they were both gone by the time she was 3.

ChoccyLabsAreFab Thu 21-Apr-16 19:40:18

My son had one just like this on his tummy when he was born. I was told by the midwives and doctors that it was not so unusual and may or may not go away with time. I worried and fretted about it and took him to to my GP as well who told me the same thing. It got smaller and smaller over time and is now just a cluster of tiny specks, hardly visible. He is 6. We used to call it his beauty spot and he was quite proud of it! grin

CrackingTheWhip Sat 23-Apr-16 23:32:29

icclemunchy hi, my son (11 months) is on Propranalol for his mark on his cheek. He's currently on 3.7mg three times a day. How old was your daughter when she was taken off it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now