Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD 17months has had vomiting and diarrhoea for four days and is refusing liquids

(8 Posts)
slowgo Tue 19-Apr-16 08:13:31

GP and NHS 111 being useless. Keep telling me to give her oral rehydration sachets and water but dd does not want any of it. All she will have occasionally is a tiny bit of juice, but the last 24 hours where she has done 3 big wet diarroheas and 2 huge vomits, she has drunk no liquid. She's tired and just lying on me and then asking for food. But when I give her food she vomits again.

It's a stomach virus, because we have all had it. Pretty nasty for 24 hours or so, but why is it going on so long with her?

dementedpixie Tue 19-Apr-16 13:35:27

Ice lollies? Drinks with ice cubes in (for novelty) ?

InternationalHouseofToast Tue 19-Apr-16 13:39:01

Will she drink if you stick her in the bath with a cup "to play with"? Or could you get some melon or cucumber and see if she can suck them rather than eat the flesh, if she'd bring it back up?

P1nkP0ppy Tue 19-Apr-16 13:41:26

Have you tried cola? Sometimes fizzy drinks will stay down and full fat coca cola is full of electrolytes etc.
Grated/stewed Apple is sometimes helpful too.

UptownFunk00 Tue 19-Apr-16 13:46:31

How much urine is she producing and how dark is it/strong smelling is it?

To be honest I'd probably go to A&E as similar happened to my daughter at that age and she was nearly admitted for dehydration.

Notso Tue 19-Apr-16 14:02:41

If she is good taking medicine then use a calpol syringe to give her drink as 'medicine' every five or ten mins. I learned this trick from Children's Ward.

TinyTear Tue 19-Apr-16 14:05:13

calpol syringe with water is what I do with mine...

summerdreams Tue 19-Apr-16 17:46:17

I took my son to a&e for similar they did a fluid challenge which is syringe 5mls of any liquid into him for an hour of they get more then half and do a wee he could go home if not they need Iv rehydration. I hope your dds ok. Oh and they say less then half of usual amount of liquids in 24 hours equals dehydration.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now