Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Six week old with cold symptoms - when to see a doctor

(15 Posts)
HJBeans Fri 15-Apr-16 23:26:35

Afyer a few days being unsettled with a bit of nasal congestion, my 6-week old has now developed a very stuffy nose. At what point do I get him checked out by a doctor? Thanks in advance.

MattDillonsPants Sat 16-Apr-16 08:13:04

Watch him for temperature changes, If he changes his feeding or toileting habits...ie if they decrease or if he has less milk then go.

Have you considered getting a snot sucker? Delightful things they are!

MattDillonsPants Sat 16-Apr-16 08:13:38

You can also encourage him to sneeze by lightly tickling his nostrils with the corner of a tissue.

comeagainforbigfudge Sat 16-Apr-16 08:16:07

Also you could go to ypu pharmacists and get some salone drops for his nose. Helps break up snot before using snot sucker grin

HJBeans Sat 16-Apr-16 08:23:43

Thanks, all. Have a snot sucker on order - couldn't find one in stock anywhere! He doesn't seem to have a temp, is nursing loads more than normal, and has plenty of wet and dirty nappies. But is very unhappy whenever he's not sleeping and is so tiny. Feeling extremely anxious.

ShowOfHands Sat 16-Apr-16 08:24:46

A fever of 38 or higher. Any difficulty breathing, including pulling in round the ribs or neck. Noisy breathing or grunting. Any unusual lethargy. Any marked decrease in feeding. Any signs of dehydration. Any rash.

Anything which worries you tbh!

It's overwhelmingly likely that with some tlc and the usual tricks of steam, snot suckers, raised cot etc, the cold will pass without incident.

MattDillonsPants Sat 16-Apr-16 08:36:38

I was told to make the bathroom all steamy by running the shower on hot for a while, then to stand in their with the baby when she was like this.

It IS anxiety inducing I know...and it's hard for you to sleep when they're like this...

twotoesforwardonefootback Sat 16-Apr-16 08:43:50

There is a free app called baby check by the lullaby trust - it is very reassuring & gives good guidance of when to get babies seen.

HJBeans Sat 16-Apr-16 10:07:14

Thanks everyone, that's really helpful. I have anxiety problems anyway, but they're worse postnatal and worse again when I'm tired, so being up all night with a coldy newborn is an anxiety perfect storm for me. Will check out that app - sounds just what I need.

summerdreams Sat 16-Apr-16 16:58:34

ActUally for a 6 week old I think the advice is a temp over 37.5 to see a Dr also trouble breathing sucking in under the ribs And flaring of the nostrils. Snot suckers are brilliant for that age hope he feels better soon.

shitwithsugaron Sat 16-Apr-16 17:08:23

My DD had these sort of symptoms at 7 weeks IIRC...she was too young for certain things but another vote for saline drops as these worked well on her bunged up nose. I was told if I could time it correctly, giving 2 drops up each nostril 20 mins before a feed can help to clear snot as obviously baby needs to breathe through their nose to feed.
This cleared itself up in around 2 weeks and I didn't need to see the GP but it was worrying as they're so tiny.

HJBeans Sat 16-Apr-16 18:57:30

Oh dear - not sure we could manage two weeks of this! Sleeplessness due to ring bunged up on his part and due to anxiety overload on mine was pretty disabling all round. Thanks for
all the advice, though. We have saline drops somewhere and should have a sucker next week when the order comes on. I'm managing to snag some - ahem - low hanging things anyway and some of his sneezes are productive. He's slept a lot today and is a lot more settled than he was this time last night, so fingers crossed for a better night and a freakishly quick recovery.

Haudyerwheesht Sat 16-Apr-16 18:59:21

Breastmilk up the nose works wonders

HJBeans Sat 16-Apr-16 19:00:16

Extra thanks for twotoes for the baby check app suggestion. It's very reassuring to remind myself of all the things that aren't wrong with him!

twotoesforwardonefootback Sun 17-Apr-16 13:25:04

It's a good app, keeps me calm! Hope baby ok today X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now